Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Celebrating Fall Outdoors: Porch and Patio

Hello, and welcome to Panoply's celebration of fall outdoors, on both my porch and patio. If you're new to my blog and coming over from Itsy Bits and Pieces, I hope you've enjoyed Linda's vintage style. Here at Panoply, my home and style are mostly traditional but, as antique dealer, I infuse vintage flair with many of my accessories. 

Though we live in West Virginia, a state entirely within the Appalachian Mountain range, one might think the Adirondacks have come to the Appalachians with my fall porch decor.
This year, my double entry doors are decked out with Adirondack baskets filled with fall floral arrangements. Originally a Native American shouldering basket intended for carrying gear and harvested foods, the Adirondack basket has since become a great decor item to the masses. Though my baskets are newer, vintage styles can be found online in various shopping venues.
The floral arrangements in my baskets are my own creations, made with fall floral stem selections from [mostly] the Dollar Tree (no affiliations). I'll share how these were made in another post later this week.
Yellow mums are my go-to choice when it comes to fall potted flowers. I typically purchase in bud stage, and enjoy an extended bloom time that way, and later plant in my landscape garden. Just a few ghost pumpkins were added this year on one side of the porch.
On the opposite side of the porch, my cast iron urn (antique) still holds my summer fern, which remains quite healthy since purchasing in late May. A vintage sundial and orb are situated beside another mum in a concrete pumpkin urn on the porch floor.
With the baskets as the statement pieces on the front porch, I used a light hand for the remaining decor.
Those who are familiar with my blog know that my favorite room in the house is my sunroom. Just outside my sunroom is our courtyard patio, below. With the French doors going to and from the sunroom to the patio, it's simple to pull pillows and throws for outdoor entertaining.
Our teak furniture in the courtyard is nearly 15 years old, but sturdy and strong. We have a bench, two rockers, and a coffee table in this area for cozier gatherings, and a lounge chair and a 13' cantilevered umbrella just beyond. Though I have cushions for each of these pieces of furniture, I've simply pulled some of my favorite pillows and throws to add some traditional fall color. My container plantings are still providing life and color for an added touch. Btw, I spotted my last hummingbird on these containers on September 25th, surely on their southward, migratory journey.
My table decor is a basket tray, full of my patch of various pumpkins. The cloth pumpkins are situated among natural sticks, seed pods, and a freestyle, chalk painted graphic on maple leaf hanger which my niece made for me last year.
On the opposite end of our brick courtyard (enclosed by brick wall) is a grassy area with hot tub. Along the garage wall I have climbing roses and lavender planted at its base.
Along the brick wall just beside the chaise lounge (afternoon shadowplay of that wall is apparent in the photos above) I recently discovered the evidence of a seed pod buffet, no doubt from squirrels. Just a couple weeks prior, there were flower petals all over that same space.
In the photo below, that's the view looking over the wall, into my landscape. You can see the orange flowers on the right in one of my landscape beds. Those are Mexican sunflowers. Evidently the squirrels like them a lot!
The photo below is looking out into my garden from the courtyard wall (I was on a stepstool).
And the shot below is taken just inside the courtyard, looking through the gate which leads to my garden.
The garden flag is all I needed to add to the landscape for decorating for fall. Mother Nature will take care of the rest!
It's been a pleasure having you here at Panoply today to share my celebrating fall on my porch and patio, with a glimpse into my garden. If you'd like to see more of my garden, I'm providing an easy link here, which starts with my most recent posts.

I'd like to thank Amber Ferguson from the blog, Follow the Yellow Brick Home, for organizing today's collection of bloggers sharing their ideas for fall porches and patios. Next on the tour is Laura, from the blog Decor to Adore. I'm sure you'll enjoy her take on fall decor, as well as all the other bloggers' whose links are conveniently provided below. Even if you're already set for fall this year (or chose not to decorate, for whatever reason), it's always fun to have such a variety of great source material all in one place, for pinning inspiration for future ideas. Enjoy!
Also, feel free to browse my other topics on my blog (located at the menu bar at the top of this page or, if on a handheld, scroll to the bottom and click on web version to access menu bar). You may also search with keywords on the side bar, or check out my labels.
Thanks for your visit today. I'd love for you to leave a comment, letting me know you were here today. You are most welcome to return, anytime!

(A special thanks to Richella of Imparting Grace, Grace at Home No. 318 for featuring this post!)

Rita C. at Panoply

Sharing: Pieced Pastimes, Best of the Weekend, Amaze Me, DIDIBNOTP, Inspire MeMake it PrettyThe ScoopDagmar's HomeCelebrate Your Story,SYS, SYCDelightsome Life H&GGrace at Home, Vintage Charm


1 comment:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Outdoor bar table and stools australia

    ReplyDelete