Friday, October 19, 2018

Dining Room Furniture Finds, Flips

I went to a really nice estate sale in our neighborhood recently. The preview picture album even had Mr. P. intrigued (the guy who doesn't like 'stuff'). The homeowner was an attorney, and he and his wife apparently lived good lives, traveled the world, and curated some quite nice furniture and decor items along the way. I ended up purchasing three different pieces of furniture (!), and have already made changes in my dining room to accommodate them. I'll show you the current look (AFTER) and show you what I purged in the process (BEFORE).

AFTER
The pieces I purchased are all from Hekman Furniture's "Copley Place" line, dating from the mid-20th century. They are constructed of mahogany solid woods with yewood (English yew wood), ebony, and mahogany crotch inlays and veneers. 
This is the way my dining room currently looks, with the new pieces in place.
The console table with drawer is finished on the back side also, making it versatile as a sofa table. In fact, it is still manufactured by Hekman and is referred to as such online. It is a much better fit and look under my mirror in the dining room than what was previously there. The two nested tables were sold as a pair (my second "piece"), and fit perfectly flush beneath the console. That's where they're being kept for now, but Mr. P. seemed to like the idea of using those next to his recliner in the family room. 
I love the straight legs of these Hekman pieces, which I find very versatile when mixing furniture. In my dining room, I have broken up the original and homogenous walnut dining room suite (Henredon "Scene One") that bachelor Mr. P. had when I met him. I am using the console and three bookcases from that set in our family room. Most of the furniture in this room is traditional style (except that French vitrine in the corner, which I can't part with anytime soon). All of the woods blend well and satisfy my need for not having an all matched look. Everything in this dining room except the table and chairs has been purchased from estate sales or estate auctions.
The third piece of Hekman furniture I just purchased is the accent table shown below. It's nice and surprisingly heavy, with a marquetry inlay on top and a contoured shelf near the base. All of this furniture was in excellent vintage condition. From what I could determine online (Chairish, One Kings Lane and EBTH), I paid less than the current retail price of the accent table for ALL of what I bought. I could not find the nesting tables currently in production, but the console and accent table are still being manufactured (Hekman website).
The cabinet with inlays pictured below was previously on the other side of the room. It was full of one of my sets of china (and then some), so I had to empty it before I could move it. It is a heavy piece with solid wood shelves, perfect for holding the weight of my dishes. I will not be getting rid of it anytime soon either.
BEFORE
My dining room prior to the latest changes is pictured below, from this post. This was Christmas 2016. As you can see, the piece pictured above was on the opposite side of the room until now.
The table below is one piece that has been displaced. It is what's referred to as a game table. It can be folded on a right angle as pictured, closed as a half table, or opened and pivoted on the legs to be the square game table surface. The stool and writing desk beneath the game table are now to the left of the cabinet that is currently situated on that wall (as seen in a previous photo).
The other table being purged is the small accent table pictured below, sometimes referred to as a candle table. It is wood with leather, triangular insets.
I'll either sell these purged pieces or see if either of my girls need or want them, which I doubt. At some point we want to downsize, and I have been thinking hard about what I hope to use going forward. Top priorities in deciding what I love and want to keep will be in pieces that are versatile in style and use. Furniture with straight lines which can lean toward more than one style such as traditional or contemporary are one example of versatility. Multi-use pieces would be those which can serve as a console, buffet or sofa table/cabinet (read storage!). If I keep the dining room chairs, they will definitely be reupholstered. Vintage accessories will remain in my decor always.

Oh, and the main reason why these pieces of furniture intrigued Mr. P., the man who doesn't like 'stuff'? The inlay and style of furniture is exactly the same as a very unusual desk he uses in his office, which was purchased for a song from the utility company I worked for in the late 1990s. It doesn't have the same finish on the wood (it's a little darker), but will likely be refinished, if and when we downsize.
My Panoply sisters went to this sale with me, and there are several more items we each purchased, most for resale, and few for gifts. I will capture my other vintage finds in an upcoming post (soon).

Do you shop estate sales and auctions?

Rita C. at Panoply

No comments:

Post a Comment