Wednesday, June 19, 2019

A Patriotic Tablescape: Celebrating Freedom, Always!

Hello! Welcome to my blog, Panoply. Today's subject is a tablescape celebrating a patriotic theme. It's my first tablescape in our new home. If you missed the tour, you can see it here. I am joining a cadre of stylists whose links are at the bottom of this post, each of us sharing our individual ideas on the same subject. You still have time to plan and use these ideas for the 4th of July! These ideas may very well also be used for other patriotic days we love and celebrate here in the US: Memorial Day, Armistice Day, Flag Day, Veterans' Day.
Thank you to our host, Chloe Crabtree of the blog, Celebrate and Decorate, for organizing this group in order to bring you new and creative ideas all week long, for your own patriotic holiday celebration. If you're coming from Kari's blog, Me and My Captain, you've surely been both inspired and entertained with her style and quick-wit.
My inspiration for this summer celebration came from a set of salad plates discovered on sale while recently on vacation. Casual and carefree melamine, I knew they'd be a fun choice to layer on my everyday service. 
I have never been one to go all out with a stars and stripes theme. Versatility and simplicity were key factors in my decisions for elements used in this tablescape, and the plates can certainly be used throughout summer. Small things like the miniature flags and the stars used (a set of cling-ons) are inexpensive items picked up and added to the table and glassware. Easy on, easy off and not permanent, just fun.
The napkins are blue and red bandanas, twisted and placed in the base of a silver napkin ring to resemble a small firework at each place setting on the table. Paper straws with a red foil fit the summer theme just as easily as they may a Christmas theme.
Red handled flatware is also a versatile choice for this holiday, as well as for Christmas or a traditional Valentine's table. The tablecloth is actually a vintage matelasse bedspread, and the "placemats" are vintage French dish towels.
My home state - West Virginia - celebrates its birthday on June 20th, so I later added a state slate cheese board to the table, marking our capital city with one of the cling-ons. West Virginia is the 35th state to join the Union, proclaimed during the Civil War on June 20, 1863. It was on that date which we officially seceded from the Confederate state of Virginia to become a separate state and joined the Union. West Virginia was a key Civil War border state. Our state's slogan is "Montani Semper Liberi" - "Mountaineers are Always Free"!
Freedom, Always Tablescape Source List
Dinner Plates - Pfaltzgraff Filigree
Salad Plates - Williams Sonoma Newport
Flatware - Bed, Bath & Beyond
Glassware - Blenko decanter and Libbey drink glasses
Straws - Michael's
Miniature flags, Star cling-ons - Big Lots
Bandana Napkins - Dollar Tree
Napkin Rings - Pier 1
Tablecloth - vintage (twin matelasse bedspread)
"Placemats" - vintage French dish towels
Slate by state - mine was a gift, but current web search shows available at Bed, Bath & Beyond
If celebrating patriotism with your guests at a gathering is your pleasure, you'll surely want to visit the list of bloggers below for more ideas. Thank you for joining me today, and I hope you'll share a comment to let me know you stopped by. Come back and visit again!
Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday


Rita C. at Panoply

35 comments:

  1. Oh là là those vintage french dish towels make great placemats and look so pretty on your matelasse cloth. Matelasse is always my first choice because I love the texture. The red handled flatware adds the perfect touch of color. I'm thinking I need to invest in some red flatware because you are right it is versatile for several holidays.
    Bandanas are a great choice for napkins and how you displayed them in the napkin ring like fireworks going off was clever! Your plates are fun and help the eye around the table for the whole picture.
    It was also clever to include a little history of your home state with the West Virginia shaped cheese board. At my age I need small snippets of history review.
    Your festive table is all ready for an occasion to invite a couple over to see your new home! They will be impressed. Have a very happy Fourth of July. We have so many freedoms to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love Love your table Rita! and the slate state cheese board is a perfect touch. I also like how you displayed your napkins, clever and different from what we normally see. Using the bed spread tablecloth shows just how inspirational and inventive you are and I love it. It is perfect for your table. I agree red flatware can be used in so many ways in tablescapes and it looks lovely with your unique salad plates. It is so good to have you back among us now that you have your house move well in hand.
    And I have to say, even though I went through your loft tour before, that your table is unexpectedly ...quite large! You never cease to amaze me my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue! I adore your vintage matelassé coverlet Rita, along with your clever use of the vintage French dish towels as placemats and mixed patterns of melamine plates. (I’m glad to hear you went on vacation after your move!) Your addition of your WV slate cheeseboard and star cling marking your city is the perfect centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you clever to use cling ons for extra patriotic bling! Love the new plates Rita, they will be very versatile with the fun pattern mix~ Loved hearing the history of West Virginia, I did not realize how your state came to be, and using your state plate is a fabulous way to show your state pride and patriotism for our country!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your slate cheese board in the shape of your state! I love that you incorporated your home state and it's history in your Patriotic tablescape. Your vintage French dish towels are my favorite thing though. They are so elegant and perfect with the Matelasse cover. Very clever to create a nod to fireworks using the red and blue bananas tucked into the glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, Kudos to you for several things you did on your wonderful patriotic table - bringing in your state was a fabulous addition to the celebration! Then I love the cling on idea for the stemware - I am sure I will be using that idea some time in the future!!! And you know I am loving the mixed patterned plates, all for that- and they are cute, perfect for the occasion!! Hope you have a fabulous 4th!! Always fun to hop with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the plates you chose -- all so pretty! And *I agree with ann about the clin-on idea. That's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita, oh how I love your overhead shots of your beautiful and patriotic table. The vintage matelasse coverlet used as a tablecloth gives the perfect foundation and texture paired with the French dish towels as placemats. The mixed-pattered melamine salad plates are so festive and can be used anytime. I need to invest in red-handled flatware, don’t know why I haven’t. The cling-on is a clever way to dress the glassware for the occasion and the addition of WV cheese board is perfect. I was so excited to see your first tablescape in your new home, par excellence!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita, I love your French towels and those plates! As always, you have created a charming tablescape! It is a pleasure to join you for the hop this week!Blessings,Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rita...your table setting is fabulous and right in time for the holiday! I love your creative spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you about just doing the stars and stripes. It is so much more and you nailed it.Love the table!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this is fabulous! Love that maltelasse coverlet as your base along with those dishes you found and the glasses with the cling-on stars! The WV slate cheeseboard is quite something! The fact that they could cut out that shape on slate is very special. Cheers to the Red, White and Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, how high did you have to get to capture those shots? LOL! Such an adorable table. Happy Day to you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Maltelasse coverlet for your table cover and the dish towels for the placemats is so cool.
    Really pretty table for the 4th of July. Have a great rest of this week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your choice for a tablecloth! One of my favorite things is using a throw or bedspread for a tablecloth and you usually don't have to iron it!! The dishes are great! I love the mixed patterns and they call come together with patriotic colors! Your use of the window clings was a bright idea to add a little more style! It is so great to have you hopping with us again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rita, I love a beautiful table set with our patriotic colors and this one checks the boxes. Love the dishtowels purposed as placemats, and the new accent plates are fun. The paisley is my favorite. Happy Birthday to WV! And thank you to you and the others for sharing the patriotic tables.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great choice of your new melamine to mix and match. I love how you chose to use the French dishtowels for placemats, they are perfect with the flatware. The state cheese board adds such a unique look and really pops on the light colored spread. What a great round table too Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new melamine plates are so versatile, Rita! The dish towels look perfect atop the matelasse. I love the idea of the cling ons for patriotic interest. The slate WV cheese board must come in handy. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rita, your table is lovely. The state board is pretty awesome. Very creative use of the towels. Using the Matelasse bedspread is such a great idea. The napkins look wonderful standing up. Great find on those melamine salad plates. Of course your blenko pitcher is perfect. You are so creative using the cling ons. A pleasure to join you Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rita, your table is so festive and perfect to celebrate the 4th of July. I especially love the use of your Maltelasse coverlet and French dish towels. And the history lesson on our state was great. Wishing you and your family a happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can see you're "back" after your big move! I love a Patriotic tablescape, and yours is wonderful using that gorgeous coverlet and French vintage dishtowels. I only have a few Melamine pieces, but its' hard to tell the difference now between breakables and the Melamine. Love all the fun extras you are using!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your tablescape because it is NOT all stars and stripes which bug the heck out of me! This is pretty and fun. And now I know I need red-handled tableware!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rita I am swooining over the vintage bedspread and French stripe dish towels that you incorporated into this simple and festive tablescape! I also love the West Virginia slate cutting board in celebration of WV. I am married to a mountaineer and for most of my life I haved cross over into WV at least once a week for shopping or whatever random reason, (also a proud Marshall University Alumni here!)

    I love them melamine plates too. So pretty!

    It's great to have you back! Have a Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oops..I don't know what "swooining" is (perhaps a cross between swooning over and pining for?) but I am SWOONING over your vintage treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How wonderful and festive your red white and blue table is. How clever to use the Matelasse bedspread. Thank you for sharing about your home state too. It's a pleasure to be on the hop with you, Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rita C, congrats on your first tablescape in your new home. Smart way to use the melamine dishes ~ what a versatile set of dishes. Love the idea of creating a firework motif with the napkins. Thanks for sharing about West Virginia. I have never been there, but I know it must be beautiful. Love the texture that the matelasse for its texture and pattern. Great experience, as always, to hop with you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing your pretty patriotic tablescape at Vintage Charm, Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am loving the idea of using the vintage matelasse bedspread and the French dishtowels. The textures and patterns are so lovely! The combination of the patterns of dishes is just beautiful! Happy 4th of July, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Birthday to WV! I love a beautiful table set with our patriotic colors. Hope you are enjoying the weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fun patriotic tablescape! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WHat a great idea for placemats! I'm going to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks great, Rita! And amen to Freedom Always!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It was a pleasant surprise to see the West Virginia slate adorning your table! I live in Seneca Rocks - actually retired here after many, many years in Northern Virginia. Thank you for mentioning the state's information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, welcome to my blog! It's a real treat to have fellow residents visit! We love our home state!

      Delete