Friday, November 22, 2013

Christmas Past: Home & Garden Tour

As Christmas approaches, I most always refer back to photos past as a reference to how I want to decorate, whether repeating themes I liked, or changing things up.  Here's a first-time tour of my home & garden during the holiday season.




Upon entering our home, you'll soon notice I have a thing for area rugs with a holiday theme.

There's also an homage to the Nutcracker, as everyone in our house, past and present, has danced in the production a time or two....or many, as is the case with my two girls.  In fact, one of my girls was Clara one year.  The hanging pointe shoes are a pair of hers, and the rhinestone brooches on them were my mom's.
The pointe shoes on the covered box on the floor were hand-painted by one of the local dancers in the Charleston Ballet.
Our Christmas colors are traditional.

Shelf detail of  Santas, either porcelain, wooden and one even made of WV coal, all hand-made.
On Christmas Eve, we entertain as much of my family as is in town, with a buffet dinner for typically thirty guests.  We make use of the dining room, the sunroom, and the breakfast area.  




Pictured below is the chaise lounge (which was slipcovered this past summer).
 Our guest bath is a combination mud/laundry/restroom (and yes, the poinsettia was in the shower for a good watering).
And, on top of the appliances, I leave this decor, encouraging a little whimsy.  I've seen some pretty funny messages as people come and go from here.
A few glimpses of other areas of the house before we leave.....the stairway garland (breakfast area and sunroom in the background)...
The bench at the landing...
The guest bedroom....
My vintage mesh purse tree in the bedroom... 
The guest bath (my bath)....
Mini Santa & Mrs. Claus in another bedroom.....
And another holiday area rug.  Did you count all five of the rugs with holiday themes? There are two more not pictured in other parts of the house. :)
Last but not least, I try to dress my garden up just a little bit, which is hardly noticeable unless you're actually in the yard and paying close attention....


I hope you've enjoyed the tour.  Now, I'm off to plan my week ahead, and begin pulling out the many containers of all my Christmas decor and begin the process of decking the halls for 2013.  

UPDATE 12-13-13:  If you enjoyed this tour, you're welcome to continue, with more photos in my Christmas Present 2013:  Home and Garden Tour.

1 comment: