Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Cozying Up the Condo

Summer to fall transition in our new condo has me honing my nesting instincts. Most of summer was all about settling in, furniture placement and organizing closets. Now it's time to have some fun in decorating. I'm cozying up the condo in anticipation of fall's arrival. While some of what I've been doing (pillows, throws) is for seasonal change, much more (wall art) is for enhancing the overall decor, which will likely stay through the seasons.
Today's post gives me the opportunity to share with you the little creature comforts I've been adding to the condo, filling in what were previously some blank spaces. Thanks to Amber of Follow the Yellow Brick Home for organizing a bounty of bloggers who are doing much the same kind of seasonal decorating in their homes, you'll find lots of inspiration in the links provided at the end of my post today. These are bound to help you jumpstart your own creativity for fall in your home!
The first and only pumpkins to arrive on the scene in my home for late summer, early fall transition will greet you at the front door entry mat.
Inside, a freshening up on the sectional comes with a mix of older pillow covers, together with a perfectly coordinated pair of lumbar pillows I found on sale recently at Pier 1. Their colors match a throw I already had almost exactly (see lead photo in this post).
These pillows aren't just for show either. I use them for back and leg support!  And pillows rotate around from place to place in my home with the seasons. What was previously on the sectional stays for fall, this time on the Parsons chair behind the sectional.
Little things like antique, wooden croquet balls are suddenly elevated as seasonal transitional showpieces in a quadruple silverplate bowl (antique estate and auction finds).
A West Virginia potter's piece with signature maple leaf design works especially well for fall.
The wall behind the sectional leads to two additional rooms on either side of the central fireplace niche pictured below.
The 5" original sketches are by a WV (now NJ) artist/friend. They are my state outline (WV) and my state's official tree (sugar maple) leaf.
While we're in the great room, I want to show you the Japanese byobu (a folding screen) I mounted on the wall behind our dining area, below, as viewed from the sectional.
I have owned this screen since 2007 (estate auction purchase) and am just now hanging it! I found an art gallery in Honolulu, HI (specializing in Asian art) which sold the mounting clips that solved my biggest dilemma - how to properly mount a folding screen of this size. 
On the table currently is the vignette pictured below (normally on the glass top, but placed on a tablecloth to eliminate glare). The quilted runner was purchased from a WV artisan, the antique dough bowl at an estate sale, and the bouquet of sunflowers inside are faux.
Sunflowers on the kitchen counter (real) and a MacKenzie-Childs teapot are other welcoming visuals seen as visitors step inside our door. The framed prints on the wall are foods among the flowers, our main food groups as I like to refer to them: fruits, veggies and ice cream (the latter being Mr. P.'s main food group 😉). These are vintage cross-stitched finds recently purchased at an estate sale.
Sunflowers are also in my laundry room, which I have decorated with mostly garden themed items. In a basket on the counter are my melamine plates I created with pictures from my garden on Shutterfly (mentioned and shown here, here, and here). Late summer blooms are featured.
In my office, I hung my vintage Art Deco framed needlepoints (estate finds).
This room carries a distinct Asian vibe with furnishings, and the Asian art vase now holds cotton bolls and pheasant feathers for the summer to fall transition.
The bookcase in my office has a gathering of my favorite things: a vintage mannequin head form with Art Deco period beaded skull cap, a Parisian-themed child's purse on hatbox, a couple of my antique trophy collection, along with a treasured antique lion's head embossing seal (which reads, "ST RITA CIRCLE NO 45 INST MAR 28, 1915, NATIONAL CIRCLE DAUGHTERS OF ISABELLA"). The shelf framed art is a unique, androgynous Art Deco figure, handmade of paper and folded satin (estate purchase).
Even the fire exit in our condo has a seasonal transition, a sort of back-to-school / library feel. The jib door holds various books, while the framed art includes a pencil sketch of my undergrad alma mater (by local artist), with an Andrew Wyeth lithograph, Early October, on the wall beside the books. I've held onto the Wyeth litho since 1989 and never hung it, just stored it.
The master bedroom is getting cozier too. The quilted wall hanging is yet another item I've had, this one since 2001, now taking center stage on the wall behind the bed. A WV artist created it in 1999.
The nine botanicals on the side wall are my most recent estate acquisition. I am pretty excited about these. They are 1885 original chromolithographs by German botanist Otto Wilhelm Thome. They were all professionally matted and framed recently, very tedious for me to hang, but I am in love with the end result.
Having these in the bedroom gives me another sense of garden zen in my surroundings. For some reason, the fig illustration was what grabbed my attention first at the sale. I don't really know why, but it speaks summer to fall transition perfectly in my mind. While the prints themselves do have some foxing, the left side matte is just glare from the light in the room when I took the photo.
Though I'm not quite finished hanging art in the master bedroom, I am happy with the cozy factor progress with pillows, throws and lighting.
I also swapped the grey flannel chair pictured above into the bedroom, and took the leather barrel swivel chair previously there into Mr. P.'s space. You can see the before looks in this post, here. His room is the least finished (no hurry), but still very cozy for watching TV. I have ideas for his space that I still hope to persuade him to go with.

It'll be a little while before I go all out with the pumpkin patch I've accumulated, but I gathered most of them into my dough bowl for a look-see of what's to come.
Thanks so much for stopping by today and for your readership. I love reading your comments too, and I try to respond to each one. If you don't receive a direct email response from me, check back and see if I didn't leave a reply here on this post. Some who leave comments have a "no reply" when I get notified, so I may not have your email to reply directly.

Be sure to check out all the links below for more inspiration!

(A special thanks to Debra at Common Ground's All About Home Link Party #5, Rebecca at Zucchini Sisters' Celebrate Your Story #197, Kathy at A Delightsome Life's Home and Garden Thursday, Amber at The Yellow Brick Home's Thursday Favorite Things, and Suzanne at Pieced Pastimes' Saturday Sparks Link Party #340 for featuring this post!)

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

51 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, Rita. Every single inch of it all. (And a good reminder it's time to get out my cotton bolls!) I won't go the full-pumpkin for another month or so but as soon as I'm home from the lake plan to dig in with the transitional elements and seeing what you have done is so inspiring. You have come "home."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and so many wonderful vignettes to inspire me for my own fall decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your creature comforts and all of your art work. Especially the originals by your friend. I need a friend like that! Your condo looks beautiful and perfectly fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your condo definitely has a cozy touch.

    I love the leather sofa and the pillows definitely add a touch of cozy. My favorite vignette is the wooden balls in the bowl. Mine are in a metal basket, but for fall I might try a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your condo is so fantastic, Rita...that view! I love all of your beautiful, cozy fall decor! You must love living there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your touches are so pretty Rita. You have a very pretty home. Everything looks so cozy and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done such a great job creating a warm and inviting home, Rita! I'm in LOVE with your gallery wall, your pottery pieces, those silver trophies and of course, that gorgeous view. It's really exciting to see how all the details have come together so beautifully. Hugs, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad the move is behind you and now you can have some fun Rita! Love the fall pillows and the maple leaf potter's bowl...and of course Sunflowers, my favorite! I must get out my cotton boles, thanks for the inspiration! So nice to see you getting cozy in your new condo!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love visiting your home Rita. You have added so many wonderful fall touches! I need to get to Pier One. Where ON EARTH did you find the needlepoint pumpkins. I NEED them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rita,
    I love seeing more of your new condo and how you are adding decor to each space. The whole feel of the condo is totally different to me than your former home. It's as though you reinvented your decorating style with the condo. I found it interesting your door has a "crash bar" handle and an exit sign above it much like the doors in schools in Texas. Was your condo building a commercial building at one time?

    So glad to see your blog posts again...

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous touches Rita. I am developing a serious crush on the maple leaf piece of pottery. Now that is craftmanship! Also loving those pillows, a trip to Pier 1 may be in order for today. I haven't shopped there in quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rita, I love your new home and you have decorated it beautifully. I am especially fond of your Japanese folding screen and those lovely, lovely botanicals. You have found treasures in your estate sale shopping. Happy September, Rita. I know you are enjoying not having to put the garden to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rita, What beautiful vignettes you have created. Love the dough bowl & table runner. The maple leaf pottery is stunning! The wooden bowl on the hearth is so pretty. Your artwork is unique and gorgeous. Isn't it fun to finally get to display the wonderful estate discoveries that were stored away previously in a new home? You've done a great job in making the condo yours. Now you can enjoy fall and hopefully a few festivals within walking distance of your home. Have a great day! Clara♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clara! I really appreciate your sweet comments. And yes, one of my favorite fall art sales will be right across the street this year! Happy September to you!

      Delete
  14. Your condo is looking great all gussied up for fall. I love seeing your estate sale vintage finds and also your WV handcrafted treasures. The leaf bowl is something that I'd buy for sure if I saw it at shop when traveling in WV.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rita, you have created a beautiful warm and cozy condo! The screen and botanicals are absolutely stunning, I know you were thrilled to finally be able to hang the screen...I have extreme botanical envy! I love every vignette, especially adore the maple leaf pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of your coziness. Your decor is stunning, which means you have good taste! I really love the pillow on the Parsons chair and the botanical prints in the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhhh love love love it all. Your place is so gorgeous and comfy. I am so happy you found this beautiful condo. Love all your vignettes.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely as always. Would you please let me know how I may purchase your wood salve. My front door is in need. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, thank you for your visit and sweet comment. The person who made the wood salve and sold it was Diana from Adirondack Girl at Heart blog. She only makes it in small batches, but here's the link with info, and you can add your name to her list: https://adirondackgirlatheart.com/adirondack-girl-heart-wood-salve/

      Delete
  19. Rita, you have been busy! It's fun to see your new space as you settle in. I haven't really begun any seasonal changes here, though I've been gradually putting a few things away to make room for some touches of autumn. So happy you and Mr. P are happy with this new life style. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rita, I really enjoyed reading your post and seeing your fall touches. That niche for the fireplace is very tastefully decorated. We have several art niches in our home, and they plagued me for a while. I couldn't decide how to decorate them. I love your botanicals, too! I have some similar ones, but they aren't the real deal like yours. What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love looking at your new condo and wishing I could downsize yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rita, your botanical collection is gorgeous! Love your pretty footed bowl and your cozy fall acccents! Happy almost fall!Blessings,Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm truly in awe of your new place, and your amazing art collection just enhances the eclectic vibe. The leather and classic/modern design is so perfect in your spaces. Of course the botanicals are my favorite. I love how you've mixed antiques and newer pieces together to bring a one-of-a-kind showplace Rita. LOVE the wall colors. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Rita!
    I've finally had some time to sit down and browse your new world! I am in awe at how you've transferred your style into a modern space. Everything looks so at home!! I am so happy for you and your hubby. Keep enjoying life!! Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have missed posts with your new home; sure looks lovely. I love all the vignettes and your history of them. Moving is just a nerve wracking event. My ex and I always said, "Bury me over the septic tank." Think that's what I'd like to do altho it is not deep enough to actually do that! I have too much clutter to move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Kathy, I'm glad you're here to do a little catching up. It took me 6 mos to purge, pack and organize all our belongings down to this space (and a storage unit). Hardest thing I've done in many, many years. Plan to be here a LONG time, and that's probably why I conquered the fear of banging nails in walls, lol. I can totally relate to the septic tank comment!

      Delete
  26. Looks amazing...you are making that place yours! I love the leaf motif bowl. After downsizing and decorating for Fall today I felt sure I was NOT buying anything new....but....
    Have a fabulous Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! The urge to refresh is hard to calm, even in a downsize!

      Delete
  27. Your condo is beautiful. I am loving all your vignettes and those gorgeous botanicals!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG Rita your condo is gorgeous!!! I'm a country girl at heart but if I could live in a condo as gorgeous as yours I might change my mind! And I love all your summer-to-fall decor, and those botanical prints! So happy to be hopping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have been having fun, Rita. I love all your fall nesting. Everything looks so cozy and pretty. You have a great eye for design.
    Love your botanicals. Hanging them was my first thought. You did a great job!
    Inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rita your condo is fabulous! If I lived in a condo, I would want to decorate just like you have mixing modern and vintage. Your art and collections are displayed beautifully. Love those pillows by the way. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rita, your condo is oozing with coziness! Love the pillows from Pier One - I'm a fan of their pillows, as they are beautiful and unique, yet reasonably priced. Happy early fall!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Rita your loft is looking so fab! I love how you have incorporated the colors of early fall through pillows and accents. I adore the botanical prints. Great estate find!
    Your art deco room is full of vintage eye candy too. It really has that library feel but with a bit of glam. I just love it.

    It's exciting to see you add your personal touch to your new space. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more fall of your fall decor! Those pumpkins in the dough bowl are beautiful.

    Thank you so for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Rita,
    Everything is so pretty but what really caught my eye is the pretty Welcome mat, the stunning Cross Stitch pictures and those charming melamine plates!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  34. Rita, you have been a busy lady!! You have done so much to much your new home warm and inviting for fall or any season. The wall that you have collected is amazing. It’s great that you are finally getting to display it and enjoy it. Thanks for the lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a fun place to decorate Rita! You've done a lovely job incorporating all your amazing antiques with more modern pieces; love the combo! Think your home needs to be in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Rita, your new home looks gorgeous! Was it hard transitioning into a smaller place? Thinking it's something we should do soon. :) I especially love the botanical prints. You know, gardening is in our blood!!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow all your touches are perfect! I love the leaf pottery piece and the new arrangement of pictures in your bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Rita, Your botanical prints are so beautiful! What a great find and I know how tedious it must have been to hang them. I love your pillows, and all the fall touches you've brought into your new condo. Lots of coziness for the cooler months to come.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Rita, I am such a fan of your beautiful botanical collection. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congrats on being featured at so many link parties this week! ;-) I'm new to your blog and I love that you write about your condo. I'm live in a small loft apartment and my blog is My Wee Abode. We have a link party on Tuesdays starting at 3pm CST and closes on Fridays at midnight. We hope to see you there via myweeabode.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thank you so much! I'm heading right over to your blog. ;)

      Delete
  41. Rita, you are really making your new condo a home with all of your personal touches. The outstanding pieces are nods to your West Virginia home state with the handicrafts of your state artisans. The maple leaf pottery and the table runner are real stand outs! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love all your unique touches Rita. It's great to be all settled in and be able to do the fun stuff! I just got out my faux pumpkins. It's still in the 80s this week, so not quite all in to fall yet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  43. I loved taking a tour of your cozy additions you made to your new home, Rita. You have excellent taste and you hang your pictures so beautifully. You MacKenzie-Childs teapot is so pretty, and I love those cross stitched pictures. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh gosh, Rita, I just found your blog via the "Love Your Creativity" blog party. I am going to have to take time and read all about your 2019. My husband and I are getting ready to sell our house in the suburbs and move (if our house sells) to an apartment IN THE CITY! Neither of us has ever lived in an urban setting but we want to travel and not have any yard, etc. to tie us down. You have probably written about this is past blog posts (I want to look in your archives) but how did you get rid of enough things to be able to move into a smaller space? AND it seems you are still collecting.Your style is amazing.

    ReplyDelete