Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Inspiration from Subtle, Seasonal Signs

While the summer days are lingering, I can't help but be aware of my surroundings and be inspired by observing the subtle, seasonal signs of changes occurring. 

During August, one sign of the impending seasonal shift is the early morning fog we see on our walks. Have you ever heard the farmer's almanac folklore, "for every fog in August there will be a snowfall"? Well, we've seen several already.
Early morning August fog lifting from the Kanawha River, along the hillside behind the WV state capitol building.
Finding first fallen acorns on early morning walks is yet another subtle seasonal sign of change. 
The hints of fall have inspired me to make a few subtle changes in my home as the seasons are changing. Today, I'm collaborating with several other bloggers who are also transitioning from summer to fall in their homes, as part of a tour Amber Ferguson from Follow the Yellow Brick Home has graciously organized. If you're coming from A Stroll Thru Life, I'm sure you've recognized Marty's style is smart and chic in a traditional way, and always on a thrifty budget.
If you're new to my blog, welcome! If you're a returning reader, welcome back! All of the seasonal changes I've made so far in my home are just a matter of selecting things from my personal and small antiquing business inventory. My style is traditional with a vintage flair. For example, a gathering of fall fruits in a Shaker knife box demonstrates simplicity in seasonal display in the sunroom. The knife box, a purchase from a collector friend, is resting on placemats purchased new last year. The Golden Delicious variety apple originated in my home state of West Virginia, in case you didn't know!
Textile changes via throws and pillows, with feathers and other items in the sunroom, are all hints toward the late summer changes ushering in early fall.
A study in textures and contrasts against the exposed brick wall of the sunroom suggests an Indian summer.
A vintage find from earlier this year - a metal and wood pitcher - rests on a side table, now in service as a vase.
The sunroom (pictured below), in transition from late summer to early fall, is where I've made the majority of transitional changes. This is my year-round, go-to casual space for reading, relaxing and accessing my garden through French doors on the right side of this space.
My plates of party birds with friends are now perched in the sunroom hutch (out of view in previous photos), alongside some Parchment Check, my everyday ironstone, a couple vintage wine casks and other tabletop items. You can see how the birds and other critters on these plates partied like flock stars in this tablescape.
Together, they are a perfect transitional addition for a subtle hint of seasonal change, and replace the cool blues the hutch was styled with earlier in the year, as seen here.
I had more fun with dishes on the wall opposite the sunroom dish hutch, where my wine rack was converted to shelves in our kitchen update last year. I used vintage plates and more Parchment Check for an understated, neutral tone here. The plates can be seen in a fall tablescape from 2016, here.
For the dining room, a textile I admired and later received as a gift from a blog friend has now been put into service as a tablecloth (thank you, Patti!). The fruit and floral garland down the table's center is a simple arrangement of magnolia and dried hydrangeas from my garden, along with twigs, cotton bolls, and apples.
More dried hydrangeas are placed in an antique, quadruple silverplate bowl on the bar cart. A small herd of sheep gathers in the tole tray, while a single stray black sheep peeks out from the ironstone cafe au lait bowls beside the group. The bar cart and everything on it are either auction, estate or vintage shop purchases.
Even in my laundry room, I play up the seasons by rotating a collection of colorful crocheted potholders. I keep my potholder collection in an ironstone wash basin on my dryer as a simple display. For an early fall look, I pulled the yellows and golds to the surface, tucking the summer's blues away in the bottom of the basin.
All of these small changes are subtle, seasonal signs of the season to come, nothing glaringly shouting fall. I love all the seasons, and while choosing a favorite is hard, fall is second only to spring as my favorite. I love the change in the colors, mood and shadowplay that fall brings. I'll add pumpkins, gourds and other harvest items as the season progresses, but continue enjoying summer until it plays out with what I've shared here today.

Next on the tour is Carol's home at the blog Art and Sand. Carol lives in sunny California. Her style is the epitome of a relaxed, coastal vibe, energized with gorgeous color. You'll want to be sure and take some time to visit all the other blog links on this tour, too, conveniently located below!

If you're new to Panoply, I'd love to have you engage in conversation with me. You may browse my topics at the main menu at the top of the page (if on a handheld, just scroll to the bottom of your page and click on web version to access). You'll also see my subject labels and a search button on my sidebar for a particular topic of interest. Feel free to leave your comments, letting me know you stopped by. Thank you for your visit today!

Rita C. at Panoply

Sharing:  Pieced Pastimes, Best of the Weekend, Amaze Me, DIDIBNOTPInspire MeMake it PrettyThe ScoopDagmar's HomeCelebrate Your StorySYCDelightsome Life H&GGrace at Home, Vintage Charm


2 comments:

  1. I love your potholders. I have a few of those kind myself - mostly in red and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working through all of the posts I received from when I was in the hospital. I still have over a thousand to go, but I'm weeding some out, too.

      Delete