Sunday, December 8, 2019

Christmas Home Tour 2019: It's Christmastime in the City

Welcome to my holiday open house at Panoply! 2019 was a year of big changes for us, as we downsized from our former home and garden to a dwelling in a century old building converted to condominiums in the center of town. You can view our former home and last Christmas here.
After living here nearly eight months, I am about 90% fully settled with places for most of the things I kept. Christmas decor is stored off premises since it is used only one month out of the year, and I am still trying to whittle it down as I go. Today I'm sharing our loft in its holiday style, and how I've incorporated much of what has been restyled in our urban space. Join me!

A little cherub donning winter accessories greets you in the vestibule outside our floor elevator.
Our loft's entry is winter ready with a pom wreath, Christmas goose and cardinal mat. 
As you step into our loft, you're looking eastward toward downtown churches and our state's capitol building in the distance (under white tarp temporarily for reconstruction). The Christmas tree was downsized this year in keeping with our overall change in lifestyle. 
Pillows and a throw were added recently for Christmas condo coordination, but the majority of memorable decorations remain and are reworked in our new space.
Christmas tree at dusk. Mixing modern / urban, traditional, vintage and antique defines eclectic style, yes?
City bridge view from living room with Christmas tree in corner, reflected in plate glass windows. Our balcony is just outside those windows.
A faux magnolia arrangement with little lights, intentionally placed to the right of the tree on the wall unit shelf, screens most of the electronics wiring.
The view of our open space and tree from the dining area. The Christmas tablescape can be seen in more detail here.
The tablescape can last beyond Christmas in its neutral, warm tones.
The dining area corner vitrine holds a vintage tole lamp, lighted Bouguereau (Song of the Angels), and small curio of a portion of my collected sterling and plated napkin rings.
Morning sunrise and sunlight streaming into the loft is a never-ending display in itself. The space directly behind the sectional sofa has two Parsons chairs and sideboard with nested tables (a second one is being used as tree stand). The chairs can easily be moved to the dining table to comfortably seat six.
A collection of small Santas and other baubles are on the left side curio / drink table.
Sideboard decor includes a squirrel nutcracker with cloisonne acorn and WV ornaments on one side, silver bocce balls in compote and simple ornaments with lights in apothecary jar on the other. Notice the stockings in the background, hanging on the edge of the counter. I simply use magnets to hang a few things on the stainless surfaces (even art!) in the loft.
The balcony boy and angel don their winter accessories.
In the main living space, the electric fireplace area is central to two rooms beyond (with track doors). You can see where the Parsons chairs are at bottom right corner of the photo. The dining table is to the left. The fireplace was a good space to display my nutcracker collection. I found frames recently on Etsy to hang antique, hand painted tiles of winter scenes dating from the late 1880s on either side of the little fireplace.
My Orphanello statue (in the corner next to my office door on the right) holds a votive candle (battery operated). Mr. P.'s personal space is the room on the left of the fireplace.
The kitchen corner is mostly utilitarian, but the little trees and angel are seasonal additions.
Stockings are hung at the end of the kitchen bar, and a tartan scarf dresses the ammo basket directly across from the bar.
The laundry room is whimsical with gingerbread people and their hanging laundry. The wreath hanging was made by my daughter #2 in preschool over 25 years ago. The crocheted potholders are another collection in the vintage wash basin. The colors of each season are brought to the surface while the bowl is full of other seasonal colors. The lights add candy-colored fun, as does the gingerbread house on the baker's rack across from the appliances.
The powder room is where my collection of sheep graze. The winter sleigh sheep and tiny orphan sheep on the commode lid are seasonal additions to the usual flock.
My office / personal space is decorated with a few more things saved in the downsize. This is the view from the side of the room where my desk is situated (the edge can be seen on the right).
The curio cabinet in my office has been empty since the move in April, and is where I intend to style much of my antique beaded and mesh purse collection. That will be a good winter project. Until then, the Santa fairies and a few family photos from the early 1960s fill the cabinet shelves.
Madonna and Child on credenza behind my desk (not shown).
The master bedroom sitting area just sports a couple of seasonal pillows, with a favorite ornament on the drink table between. A lighter hand is decorating this year was a welcome change. Buying new pillows and a few salad plates to add to my dish collection (of course!) were my only splurges this year, and I even took most of the duplicate sized pillow forms and vacuum sealed them for storage to maintain clutter control.
One of the many, ever-changing sky views from our living space.
I even downsized my nativity in that I purged the wooden stable. I love the simpler display. It doesn't matter if your style is modern, farmhouse, traditional, urban or any other label, this is timeless.
May your holidays be filled with love and meaningful moments. Try not to worry about what others might view as the perfect Christmas. I found this article on that very subject, posted recently by a niece who has three kids under the age of 12, and thought it was poignant for all of us. 

Merry Christmas 
from Rita C. at Panoply
(A special thanks to Shelley of Calypso in the Country's Decorating Ideas - Best of the Weekend 12-13-19 for featuring this post!)

39 comments:

  1. Rita, Merry Christmas girl!! I love seeing how your collected things fit into your new home. The mix of modern and traditional is wonderful. Those brick walls and that view.... I bet you are loving your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a delight to tour your new home....All of your decor is so pretty and festive. The view at night must be so sparkly out of your windows! Enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new home is gorgeous, oh my, those views!! And I think your Christmas decor looks just perfect in its new home. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita, your home is lovely all decked out for the holidays, I bet the view is fabulous! Even your statues are decorated so cute. Love your nativity in fur. The laundry room looks so festive with gingerbread. Looks like your new digs is a wonderful place to enjoy life. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita, the view from your large windows is amazing! You have done a marvelous job with combining your vintage, antique, and fine furnishings into a modern loft home! I am most impressed that it has a feeling of warmth and your style comes shining through. It has all the ambiance of Christmas and I can imagine having dinner at your beautiful table. I have slightly pared down this year, I think I am just too tired to go into full decorating mode. Thank you for inviting us in to see your stunning loft. I am so happy for you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, you've created beauutiful and festive holiday decor for your new lifestyle. I imagine it's fun to see things in a new light. I'm impressed that you are all finished. I wish I were! The tree is up and decorated as is the mante, and our stockings are hung. Next I'll add a few vignettes to the tables on the sunporch, including repeating what I did last Christmas with the darling soldier I bought from you. He is so handsome and full of charm! And he makes me think of you each time I pass his way!
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rita,can't pass the building without thinking of you all. Your neew place is simply stunning, and so you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WV Grammy, thank you so much! We are loving the change.

      Delete
  8. I always have about 3 blogs I love to see holiday decor from that really kicks off the holiday season for me. It's tradition now after so many years and yours my friend is number one.

    I COULD NOT WAIT to see how you would handle your new space and you definitely didn't disappoint. So many wonderful touches of tradition and vintage appeal set against your stunning Loft. Also, your laundry room?!?! I can't stand it, I'm seriously green with envy. I have work to do today in my "dungeon" that I am already dreading. Now I'm wanting to use the ole credit card and go buy some stainless appliances and cabinets and put Greg to work!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita, everything is so beautiful and I am amazed you are finished and blogging about it. I am far from finished and my son was here all weekend which I loved.
    I love your crocheted potholders! They almost look like a tray of Christmas cookies if your eyes are as old as mine.
    I will read your article about not worrying about what others view as the perfect Christmas. I fear my excitement about my kids all being here( 10 of us and a dog for a week) that my expectations of a perfect Christmas is very unrealistic.
    Blessings to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the article. Very thought provoking. I needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rita, your home is beautiful and speaks Christmas with its warmth and all the things you hold dear. I so love the Madonna and Child, it is my favorite of all your lovely things. Thank you for sharing the wonderful article. I have saved it and have a friend I will share it with. It is so meaningful. Wishing you wonderful December days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Rita, you have moved into your new home and downsized life so gracefully! It must be wonderful "living in the sky!" My father always insisted on a house with a good view, and overlooking your beautiful city would have been right up his alley! I love that you brought your garden cherubs and they look delightful in their winter apparel. The magnolia lit "tree" is my favorite part, and I loved seeing the Winter Moon pillow :) Your home looks holiday perfect to me! I still have some work to do here...Enjoy!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna! For my readers, the Winter Moon pillow is just one of many creations by the Painted Apron in her Society6 shop: https://society6.com/paintedapron

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh Rita it is all so beautiful. Your tree at night is amazing!!!!!! I am so happy to see you brought some of your cement cherubs to the new balcony from the old house and they are so darn cute and made me smile with their red and white scarves and hats. That is brilliant and so cute. Oh my gosh I had to go back and swoon over each picture again. Your throw Christmas pillows are all so unique and pretty. What beautiful views you have of the city. This was such a great move for you. You have this beautiful condo and all your decor fits in so beautifully. I feel like I am looking in Homes Beautiful magazine feature as I scroll through your pictures. You go girl this is gorgeous. Bravo! Love it all.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new home looks positively lovely. I love every darling detail. I'm especially partial to that sweet little cherub sucking his thumb. Have a wonderful week, dear Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rita, I really enjoyed your tour...the winter moon pillow is lovely and I loved your idea of the manger scene without the stable ~ very charming!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rita, it is just gorgeous and I loved your tour. It so expresses so many sides of your personality -- the whimsical, the joyful, the jolly, the elegant, the collector, the warmth. Your tree is delightful and looks so magical with its lights and of course, I love each and every collection. Very Mary Poppins -- Practically Perfect in Every Way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was hoping to see your new home and how you downsized! I would love the view and look forward to the sunsets! Your home looks so relaxing and I loved the tour. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have made your smaller space inviting without being cluttered. Your view is beautiful, and I know it will change on a daily basis with sunrises and sunsets. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Rita, you have really decked out your loft for the holidays! You look like you have settled into your new digs. Your views must be amazing at night with the city lights and various Christmas lights. I really love how you have added Christmasy touches to your little cherubs, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. everything is wonderful Rita. I love how you've decked your new halls! that view is just amazing and all your Christmas decor looks perfect there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing view you have of the city beyond. Your Christmas tree shining in the window is breathtaking! As I wandered through each room to look at each festive pretty I could not help help but smile. So many lovely touches to grab one's attention. I must say to sit in one of those comfy chairs and to look out at the sunrise or sunset must make your soul soar. Your beautiful home looks truly magical. Thank you for opening your door and inviting us in. Wishing you a blessed Christmas, lovely Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your loft looks so tastefully decorated, Rita. I loved going through each space with you and seeing what you e done. Your nativity scene at the end looks so beautiful in how you’ve arranged it. Thanks for welcoming us into your lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, everything in your new loft is so upscale and contemporary, yet you have made it warm and cozy! I can't even imagine picking and choosing - but how refreshing to have it accomplished! Thanks for the wonderful tour!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your loft looks so beautiful decorated for Christmas. I know you enjoy your tree and your view so much this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such pretty decor and I love all the twinkling lights at night. Thanks for linking up to Best of the Weekend. Your post was one of my features this week. I will also be pinning and sharing in Instagram stories this weekend. Thanks again for joining us and have a great weekend!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your condo is so amazing Rita--with a view of the capitol no less. I would love something like that myself (or a cabin on a lake, can't decide which...). Your decorating is beautiful as always--doesn't seem to matter where you're located, you have a knack for turning your living space into a lovely home, perfectly decorated for the season :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rita, your Christmas in the City tour is both chic and cozy--love it! I pinned your gorgeous nativity! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Everything looks wonderful Rita!! You still managed to do a ton more decorating than I did, even though you 'downsized' - I didn't even open 4 of the 5 Christmas storage bins in the garage this year, ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good Afternoon Rita,
    I have been eyeing your Christmas Home Tour for awhile now and couldn't wait any longer to pop in! What a joy it is to see your light, bright, cheerful,upscale chic City home! Your creativty shines beautifully everywhere you call home. Not to mention that organization is your middle name!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your new home is exquisite Rita and you have decorated it so beautifully! I loved the tour! Wishing you all the best for a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, Rita- you have decorated your place beautifully! I love how you mix styles - and really enjoyed your narrative in this post - just lovely!

    Thank you for sharing - and always a big thanks for visiting me.

    I may not be able to help with those recipes - I am a "pinch and punch" cook and make things up as I go. I have been cooking since I was 14 - to me it's like breathing - on the rare occasion when I do follow a recipe I find myself very disappointed. I tend to follow dry ingredients and levelers when baking - but almost never do for cooking. If I think hard I could probably try to come up with my basics for most of it - though most of it I cooked in the wee hours of the night b/c I sleep poorly.

    Hope your Christmas season has been merry and bright - and best of health and joy to you in the coming new year!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness Rita your new place is AMAZING! The views are to die for!! Love all your holiday decor. Everything looks so warm and cozy. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Rita,
    Oh, my. . .I, totally, misread your title. . .
    I thought this was a Tour of the City!
    I love how you've blended all the styles to make this
    home in the City your own!
    Merry Christmas!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVE that you decorated your front door area! #loftlife, right?! Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Turn About... the party returns from the Christmas break this Tuesday, 1/7. Hope to see you there, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rita, I know I'm a tad late, but between our trip, our new granddaughter, holidays, etc., etc., I'm finally getting around to commenting on your gorgeous condo. Everything is so beautiful and perfect! I love the size of your tree. Is it faux or real? We bought a new one last year and I wish we had bought one that was smaller. I don't think we were thinking! Your pom pom wreath looks like the one I bought this year from Anthropolgie.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Rita,
    I'm guilty of trying to catch up on some of my blogging friends. I feel like I haven't had a minute to myself to enjoy....so I chose you first to browse. You never disappoint me! Your new home looks so lovely for the holidays! I LOVE all of your beautiful touches. Ending with your beautiful nativity was outstanding!! Fondly, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete