Friday, December 14, 2018

Christmas Journal 2018: Home, Garden

Christmas around my home and garden this year is pretty much consistent from years past. I don't buy a lot of new things each year. I usually will try one or two new vignettes annually, and then decide if I like them well enough to keep them in my repertoire in following years. I do, however, like to photograph the house once it's decorated. So, here's my home and garden photo journal for Christmas 2018.
Simple front porch decor this year, minus the carolers and sled from past years (taken to antique mall to sell).
The tree in the urn is the topper from my old Christmas tree, still going strong after at least twelve years.
An early December dusting of snow yielded another photo op outside. The swags are fourteen years old. 
Entryway
Living Room
I added bulbs and tiny lights in jars where the vintage ceramic tree was in previous years (which was sold this year at antique mall).
Stairway
The garland is at least twelve years old. The first year I hung it, I took pictures and wrote out instructions for myself so it would be easier to hang in following years. It paid off. I store the 36' (6 x 6') in one tub, along with the bows I made that first year. When little pieces of the greenery fall off, I just keep them and use them later in arrangements or projects.
Second Floor Landing
Pillow on primitive bench is new - a holiday giveaway from blogging friend Jenna at The Painted Apron. Thank you, Jenna! 
Master Bedroom
Arrangement is mostly real (pine collected on walks and magnolia from my garden), with a faux eucalyptus branch.
Part of my vintage mesh purse collection on metal tree.
Dining Room
The garland on the table is new this year, but I added magnolia cuts from the garden, and lighted twigs. The tree on the credenza in the background was a very old one from my husband's bachelor days, resurrected and re-trimmed simply with lights and gold bead garland.
Family/TV Room
Kitchen/Breakfast Area
Sunroom
The house on the shelf is a Beekman Boys' cookie jar, bought after Christmas last year from a local auction house very inexpensively. The dormer in the attic (lid) has a battery operated light that flickers.


My brass deer that I bought at an estate sale last year, and used in this year's holiday tablescape.
Using the ladder in the sunroom this year (in my laundry room until now) was inspired by Chloe from Celebrate and Decorate. I already had the Mark Roberts Santa fairies and snowflake lights, and positioned them playfully on the ladder.
Bulbs in a basket, what could be easier?
A rosemary tree from the grocery store, trimmed with faux holly and berries. The sheep on sled was purchased this past spring from a friend who relocated to SC.
The chair wreaths were a craft project this year, inspired wholly and totally by following blogging friend Lora Bloomquist's tutorial at her blog Lora B Create and Ponder: "Vintage Thread Spool Mini Wreath How-To". 


A sweet story that goes with these wreaths: a good friend of mine had given me the spools (with thread on them) about five years ago, and I finally used them for this project, and made five wreaths. When I sent a picture to my friend she said she had forgotten about them, they had been in her [deceased] mother's sewing machine. I gave one to my friend as a Christmas tree ornament. She sent me a photo saying it is special to her.
Another addition to my sheep collection this year came from a dear friend.
More gifts from friends (you know you are, and I love you all!).
Another simple arrangement, this one all faux (there's some of that pine that fell off the stairway garland. It's also part of those little spool wreaths).
Laundry/Mud/Powder Room
My collection of crocheted potholders in ironstone wash basin is rotated so the red & white rise to the top. See fall's colors displayed here.
One of my favorite little decorations is the Hallmark gingerbread house, below, which sits on my clothes dryer. I get a little kick out of ringing the doorbell and listening as I fold laundry. 😊

If you've stuck with me this far with my photo journal, bless your heart! I appreciate your loyal readership, always.
May your heart be light and gay this Christmas season. I'll be home for Christmas. 💓🎄
Rita C. at Panoply


2 comments:

  1. Having just toured your new loft, I thought I'd come and revisit your previous home at Christmas. Every vignette is lovely, and spread so wonderfully throughout your house. Makes everything festive! I'm envious of the garland so artfully arranged on your staircase. I can't seem to create a decent one, though I do one each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is adorable and gorgeous...You are great!Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete