Monday, March 24, 2014

Purging Progress

Just a quick update to my purging process...it's coming along really well (see my 40 Bags in 40 Days Challenge).  I started in my main clothes closet, which looked like this in the before state (I had to remove my laundry hamper just so you could see a lot of this pictured below):
My closet basically has several micro-closets, which includes (1) lots of shoes (out of season stacks are behind the stacks in front).....
......and (2) too many hanging clothes......
.....(3) a plastic dresser on the bottom left, full of athletic and sunwear (which I can't even access for the junk in front and to the side of it (the clothes hamper sat on top of that big box on the floor).......
......and (4) two crates and two bags FULL of loose flip-flops, slippers, and gift-with-purchase cosmetics stuck back in the right corner.....
...not to even mention the jewelry armoire peeking out on the far right, which I cannot open due to micro-closet (4) and step ladder and the stack of purses on top of it!  I know, pathetic.

Well, so far I have purged and donated of all of this...
......and all of this.......
.....and all of this.......
.....for a total of 16 (large) bags of items!  I have also separated all of the gift-with-purchase cosmetics and split it among three sisters, two daughters, and three nieces.  AND, my oldest daughter took four additional, smaller bags of items she chose for her use.

After the purge, my closet now looks like this:
While the photo above may not appear too different from the before photo, the micro closets are vastly pared down, and they are ALL accessible.  There's room for the laundry hamper. the jewelry armoire has no purses stacked on top of it, the stepladder is out of the way on the far right wall, and one crate is now on its side on the top shelf, with tote bags corralled inside it, and a couple more handbags on top of it.

I am on a mission......still have several more spillover closets to go, but am determined to pare it down.  I have also donated several pieces of furniture - a rocking chair, card table with four chairs, and an end table.

I am feeling accomplished at this stage, and feeling really good about delivering these items to our resale shop that exclusively benefits women of domestic abuse and violence.  These items will become available for public purchase but, more importantly, will be available to the women and children living at our local shelter, who are provided vouchers to 'shop' for their clothing to make a new start.

What's in your closet?

link and party with any given number of these fine hosts:

No comments:

Post a Comment