Saturday, November 7, 2020

Hunkered Down at Home for Thanksgiving

Welcome to Panoply. 2020 has certainly been full of the unexpected, and the holidays will, no doubt, be much the same. The term "hunker down" took on new meaning this year, especially through the eyes of this actor's Instagram account

Ours will definitely be a hunkered down kind of Thanksgiving, but a celebration of the season nonetheless. Please, come in, and join me for a virtual visit in our city loft. I've added a few late fall touches for this season of thanks. There's hand sanitizer at the door for you just to the left of the fall leaves doormat. 

Today I'm joining Amber from Follow the Yellow Brick Home for a gathering of some blogging friends for each one's take on "A Season of Thanks". You'll find their links at the end of this post. If you're coming from Chloe's blog, Celebrate and Decorate, you'll see she's got such a flair for seasonal touches with a high-end finish. Her tutorial for the pumpkin centerpiece is so clear, too.

One of the main things I've done throughout these past several months is cook more and keep a table set as part of my decor. We typically eat informally at our kitchen bar, but tablescapes have become my happy activity. Right now the table is set for Thanksgiving, and we may be having my brother join us. You can see all the details of it in this post.
With leftover flowers from a bouquet purchased for the table above, I had another smaller bouquet of thistle and mums on a table beside the leather sofa in the great room.
Just prior to the tablescape above, I had the arrangement below on the table, transitioning from my Halloween themed table. Little lights will remain a staple throughout our home until at least spring 2021 as a way of warding off darkness doldrums. More lights will be added throughout the holidays.
I love setting tables, and with the dishes and textiles I've collected over the years, both old and new, it's fun to come up with new combinations. Another table for two I recently put together on our balcony this fall is shown below. 
I combined Ralph Lauren Carolyn appetizers on Royal Stafford Hayride for this look. I used a vintage MacKenzie-Childs tartan wool throw for the tablecloth. Sitting outside is delightful this time of year, and this could be how we end up how having our Thanksgiving meal, weather dependent.
A little plant display and pumpkins on the balcony stoop complemented the tablescape.
Back inside, small item vignettes rotated throughout the condo as the fall season progressed from September to November. Items which were previously parts of various tablescapes have found their place in other areas now. On a side table curio, items from my French faience table and my balcony skyline table....
On the sofa table in the great room, my MacKenzie-Childs Keukenhof cake pedestal stands with pumpkins from both of the fall tables mentioned earlier.
The fireplace is transformed for late fall as well, with a mix of vintage and new items. For better perspective on how this space is configured, you can see our great room in early fall in this post.  
A closer look at the items on the fireplace ledge shows it's decked out with feathers, pumpkins and faux pears, using vintage wood Indian clubs, a metal and wood pitcher, and primitive dough bowl as seasonal accents. 
Above the fireplace, I love my new framed artwork prints from my blogger friend's Society6 shop, Paintedapron. I bought a few more prints I'll hang for the Christmas holidays and late winter, too! Check out Jenna's shop - there's so much variety in what you can purchase, and always great savings via email signup!
In my office, I have a sweet spot for reading. For fall, there's an incredibly soft sheepskin rug draped on the chaise to cozy up my legs and feet (with a throw underneath), and a vintage footstool beside that's covered in vicuna fur that I move around as needed (as a side table in this case). 
Here's a closeup of my little Art Deco lamp on the side table curio (I have three of those side table curios, which are very convenient throughout the condo). I bought this lamp from a private estate last year. It's no accident that this entire room has a sort of Art Deco vibe to it. It's my favorite era (roughly 1908-1935) for fashion and home decor style. It works well with our loft's architecture - a mix of modernism with a throwback feel.
On the opposite side of the room is where I work, handling personal family matters and my blog. Light streams into this room from sunrise until sundown with three windows as large as the one pictured below. Our window coverings are a combination of electronically-operated, light-filtering shades (shown) with an additional room-darkening shade. 
The two sconces behind my desk are tricked out with a couple of MacKenzie-Childs tassels, which I love for their texture and fullness!
The credenza behind my desk has just a couple items displayed on each side. On the left, a framed stone impression of Sir Thomas Lawrence's 1823 "The Calmady Children" is a timeless nod to having two girls of my own. The wooden candlesticks on the right rest on a primitive felt pad with seasonal pumpkins. Each of these items was a vintage find from various places.
If you look closely on the bass speaker on the floor in front of my desk, there's a wooden form. She came from an artist's estate sale several years ago, and I love her stance, just thinking. 
Over the years, I've had the opportunity to collect many unique items. Having the retail space which I share with two of my sisters in our local antique mall allows me the luxury of being able to foster items and then sell them once I'm ready to let go of their clutch. 

Last year Mr. P. and I downsized into this loft we're currently living in, and many items were purged, either by selling in my antique booth spaces or by giving to family members. I even gave my readers opportunities through sending some purged items specifically chosen for them. What you're reading today on my blog is a sampling of my subjects - my home, my vintage finds, and my tablescapes. I invite you to come back and visit, or do a search on my sidebar for any of these key words to read more. I'd love to have conversation with you!

I want to thank Amber for organizing this roundup of bloggers, all of whose blog links you'll find below. I think you'll really enjoy all the different styles you'll see as each one invites you into their home for this season of thanks. Next up after my visit, you'll find the blog Lora Bloomquist (Lora B. Create and Ponder). Lora has a vintage style in everything she does and it speaks to my heart!
Thank you for your visit today. I'm grateful for each of you who stops, reads or even scans through my posts. Saying hello with a comment is like the whipped cream on the pumpkin pie. Stay safe, everyone, and enjoy this season of thanks. Here are the links to all the bloggers' posts. Enjoy!
Rita C. at Panoply

42 comments:

  1. Rita, every time you share a post featuring your lovely home, I am drawn to your elegant decor and charming collections. I love your table setting and MC displays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous tour, seeing your office makes me feel like I need to carve out a space like that for me instead of a laptop on the couch. Looks wonderful Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, I just love venturing into your home for this tour. All the details are warm and inviting -- that doesn't always happen with a modern twist but you have mastered it by integrating so many vintage/antique treasures with the sleek lines of the furniture and the joy you possess in the wonderful prints by Jenna. Your collections are beautiful and I love all your china and how you use it so beautifully on your table. I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a treat to be invited into your condo Rita {I did sanitize my hands first 😂} I love all your unique and unexpected touches, especially your Thanksgiving Thistle and Bee table, and the adorable table for 2 on the balcony. As I strolled through your condo I came to a dead stop at your fireplace, THANK YOU! I am beyond flattered to see 2 framed prints from my shop!! It is such a treat for me to see my artwork hung and being enjoyed in someone's home, especially if that someone is a treasured friend! Thank you for the mention too, much appreciated! Your office is dreamy, such a cozy yet sophisticated spot, love the window by the desk with the light streaming in. I hope you have a lovely November and grateful Thanksgiving.
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita, as always I love being invited into your new home. You have combined modern, antiques, and vintage with an artist’s flair. You have a large MKC collection that you use so beautifully. I am so smitten with the needlepoint pumpkins, they are so gorgeous. No, I never ordered any, sigh. Our Thanksgiving just got smaller, it is that kind of year. Wishing you and Mr. P a most wonderful season of Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, your post is lovely. I enjoyed the tour very much. Those needlepoint pumpkins are beautiful. I love your office and the thought of all that light invigorates me.The chaise lounge complete with sheep skin throw looks so comfortable. Your art work and art deco lamps are charming. Your personality is reflected in your furniture and accessories like the beautiful oriental buffet.
    Your china and tablescapes were fun to see again and so pretty and creative. I love the thistle in your arrangement. I could go on and on.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is filled with elegance, just lovely. So many interesting touches, love that Deco lamp - one of my favorite design eras as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tour. I especially love the Ralph Lauren plates. I need!!!! Happy Turkey Month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I know where all the needlepoint pumpkins from Wollman Designs went. It took me three weeks to score one. Your collection of them is stunning. I also love your tablesscapes. That china is darling! Happy Thanksgiving. Have a blessed one. Hunkered down sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rita, it is always a pleasure to tour your space. Love the table for two!! Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So thankful for all of the lovely ideas Rita! Your tablescapes are just gorgeous. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful! I love all of your fall decorating ideas! Your tablescape is really gorgeous and I love the deep rich colors. Enjoy a beautiful holiday season! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the tour and I really loved your stunning tablescape. One of my faves of what you have done. Stunning and gorgeous. Your place looks so cozy and pretty for fall. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy peeks or tours of your lovely home Rita. The rich warm and vibrant colors in your scapes are gorgeous as are the patterns used. So many details to brighten up late autumn into Thanksgiving. I love how you use little pumpkins around and you really have an eye for mixing the unique with traditional. And, love the welcome wreath and rug at the door. Thanks for all the inspiration, I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your beautiful tour. I love the beautiful blues in your tablescape. Your art deco lamp is stunning Rita! Hunkered down is our theme here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, so many beautiful decor ideas. Your home is stunning. I love your Thanksgiving table centerpiece with the feathers. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your home is lovely....I adore the appetizer plates and all of your pumpkins(what a variety)! Your office/library is such a warm room and I love your reading corner. Our Thanksgiving will be a quiet one, too, sadly, but the numbers are rising here quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a lovely home, Rita, and your Thanksgiving tablescape is so elegant. I love your place settings and how you layered in such a deep rich blue too. It looks like the perfect spot to enjoy a meal with those you love. Hope your holiday season is a special one, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Because of COVID there will only be 2 of us for Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years eve. But we now do have a president who will be working to fight the virus and not ignore it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your idea of hunkering down for Thanksgiving Rita. Your condo is so beautiful and I love your gorgeous table setting on the balcony. I hope you'll have pleasant weather and can enjoy it as much as possible through Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's nice that you are cooking more these days. I guess I have been too, although that means I'm eating more! Your Thanksgiving decor is beautiful. I love all the dark, rich colors and the sparkle of the lights. Wishing you a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your home looks so elegant yet comfortable. I think my favorite space is your office retreat. The walls are the most delicious color. I hope your good weather continues. Today is a great day to be an American!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your collection of pumpkins is quite amazing Rita! Loved all of your vignettes. Hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful. Even if it's just 2 of you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a delightful late fall tour of your loft! There are so many things I love, from the plaid on the table, the hayride dishes, the art deco lamp (wowza!) and your cozy reading space. I just love how you have made your stylish loft your own! I hope we have beautiful weather for Thanksgiving so you can enjoy turkey al fresco!

    Thanks for joining the hop and gave a safe, healthy, and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We eat at our bar a lot as well especially when it's just the 2 of us. I adore your table set for 2 and using coordinating china. You really have the most beautiful eclectic home. I adore looking at your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rita, this is a lovely post. There are so many things I adore, but my favorite is the stone impression, it is beautiful. Also love your MKC pieces, you use them in such a creative way.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. If we can all manage to stay well, that is truly Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your condo is so classy and elegant, Rita! I love that you've infused art decor vintage vibes into it; perfect combo of modern & vintage. You solved a wonderful family mystery for me: my grandma always had this wooden bowling pin thing tucked into the corner by her front door. Guess we always thought it was kind of a self defense prop, in case of an intruder. But now you've taught me it was a vintage Indian club...used for juggling?! Think I need to learn more and try to figure out where she would have picked up such a find. I'm so excited; thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rita I love your style and really enjoyed seeing your different place settings. I hope you are able to enjoy Thanksgiving with your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It would be a joy to wander around your lovely loft and inspect each lovely item up close and personal. You have exquisite taste, Rita. I must say I don't think I would ever leave that oh-so-comfy chaise being hugged by that sheepskin rug and being smiled upon by the sun all day. So many beautiful things on which to gaze upon but I must say as little as they are those needlepoint pumpkins made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved the tour Rita! You have so many unique pieces, and it must be so joyful kicking back and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rita, Your entire place is decked out with all of the best of fall and a wonderful way to display so many delightful treasures. What a wonderful thing it is that you have a retail outlet to move on those items that you are ready to let go of. I have been cleaning out and moving on items myself. Have a safe and happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all your decor for the season! I am swooning over the succulents in the copper cups!! I'm so inspired!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely Thanksgiving settings, Rita. Your whole home is cozy and welcoming. Happy Thanksgiving, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely tour Rita. The chase lounge looks so cozy especially with the sheep skin. Love the fireplace all decked out. Your table is lovely. What amazing pieces you have. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Rita, you have created the prettiest tablescapes! I love that you say it is your happy activity. Sure has been a verrrrrrry strange year!

    I really enjoy seeing all your eclectic belongings. I would so love to sit and sip and chat about each piece, and just delight in your company.

    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Rita... everything look stunning in your new home. Love your table. If I had that darling cozy spot for reading, I would never leave. Have a great week and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for sharing your lovely home at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Everything looks so beautiful. Warm and cozy for the season. I especially love that reading nook! I agree that making home special is doubly important during this pandemic, and finding ways to keep our spirits up is key!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love Mackenize Phillips, such a beautiful collection.

    ReplyDelete
  41. A pleasure Rita to visit and enjoy your wonderful collections - such a warm and interesting and welcoming home.
    Hugs
    Joy

    ReplyDelete