Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Thistle and Pheasant Run Thanksgiving Tablescape

Hello, and welcome to Panoply. Today I am sharing a tablescape I've styled and calling Thistle and Pheasant Run Thanksgiving. Although our 2020 Thanksgiving holiday will be one of the most low-key ever, it will still be celebrated with intention and style above the ordinary meal. Historically, we have spent this holiday with Mr. P.'s family, but there were also years where I either hosted a small gathering or we traveled on this holiday and celebrated as a couple.

This tablescape is part of a Thanksgiving celebration of a group of bloggers whose creations you'll find at the end of my post with direct links to each. Our host is Chloe Crabtree of the blog Celebrate and Decorate

The china I'm using for this tablescape is from MacKenzie-Childs' 2020 barn sale. My desire was to focus on the design of my bread and butter plates (used here as a salad plate). My complete source list is provided near the end of my post, merely for information, no sponsorships.

I had purchased a set of vintage brass pheasants during an early Spring local estate sale (online), shared as part of my Pandemic Vintage, Antique Shopping Finds, fully intending to foster this find for awhile.
I knew I wanted to find a cabbage floral for the centerpiece, but nothing too large. Efforts for finding a long-lasting, silk version were aborted once I located a small one among a larger bouquet at our wholesale club. Additionally, a filler bouquet of Alpine thistle (eryngium, commonly known as sea holly) provided the vision I was seeking. A few snips and a simple plastic bowl for a vessel filled with water became the basis of my table centerpiece.
A balance between masculine and feminine is a tendency I gravitate toward in much of my design style, and I think using the thistle, cabbage and pheasant feathers work for that appeal as well as visual interest. The long and low profile assures conversation without interference.
The brass pheasants are subtly tucked alongside the flowers, with greenery mixed among cotton bolls, pheasant feathers, lighted twigs and pine cone surrounds. A linen runner runs the length of the table.
Pheasant placemats and purple crackle glassware were used to complement the theme and colors. Gold flatware matches the gold rim on the plates. Linen napkins were used and simply tucked between the two plates.
While still planning how I'll interpret the menu for Thanksgiving this year, I like the idea of keeping it both festive and relatively simple, and my tablescape is consistent with that. 
I'll be working on a menu that serves 2-4 this Thanksgiving, and probably serving up some combination of semi-homemade and homemade recipes. We may invite a brother of mine for dinner, but I don't expect more than the three of us.
I hope you're inspired today with how simple it is to make a little fuss over a table to elevate its status to something more than just everyday drudgery. Thanksgiving is a very special occasion to reflect on family and the harvest our great land provides. Even as we hunker down with a smaller scale version, our bounty is much to be thankful for. 
THISTLE AND PHEASANT RUN TABLESCAPE SOURCE LIST
Dinner Plates - MacKenzie-Childs Thistle and Bee
Bread and butter plates - MacKenzie-Childs Pheasant Run
Pheasant placemats, purple crackle glassware, napkins - Pier 1
Gold flatware - Target
Runner, brass pheasants - vintage finds
Flowers, greenery - Sam's Club
Pheasant feathers - Pottery Barn
Pine cones - foraged
Cotton bolls - Decor Steals
Lighted twigs - years old, source unknown
I encourage you to take some time to visit all the other bloggers participating in this Thanksgiving tablescaping event. Listed below are the links that will take you directly to their posts. A special thanks to Chloe for her organization in assembling all of us together. 
Panoply (you are here!)
I appreciate your visit today, and hope you'll leave a comment to let me know you were here. Tell me if your plans are being significantly altered this year as a result of the pandemic. Are you cooking, or ordering your dinner catered? Are you hosting anyone, or going to another's home? However you celebrate, please be safe. 

38 comments:

  1. Rita, I have MKC Thistle and Bee envy and love your addition of the Pheasant Run plates! You created the perfect centerpiece to complement it with your excellent find of the cabbage and Sea Holly! The addition of the pheasant feathers, pine cones and cotton bolls add great texture and contrast and do strike that balance of masculine and feminine. Your feathered placemats are the perfect final touch. As always it’s a treat to join you at table and hop with you again.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely outstanding. I love the blues and brown together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Rita,
    This is such a beautiful, endearing and thoughtful post on so many levels. I love how you mention that even though times have changed we still can set Thanksgiving apart from the ordinary daily living and elevate it for whoever sits at our table. Your centerpiece really calls my name! I love the natural elements and beauty of it all. Your MKC plates and feathered placemats are stunning.
    Happy Thanksgiving Rita, thankful for you!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita, I absolutely love the MKC Thistle and Bee plates. Their rich colors warm my color loving heart. Your centerpiece definitely adds the masculine vibe to the table, you balanced the masculine/feminine perfectly with the right amount of color and texture. It is so important during these unusual times to make certain to celebrate the special holidays even if it is just a table for two or three. I always look forward to your well thought out tables. Wishing you a most blessed Thanksgiving season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rita, your centerpiece is gorgeous!!! Love the cabbage and feathers, so perfect for your Thistle and Bee BEE-u-ti-ful plates! Your table is really showstopping, bravo my friend, this is fabulous!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, You have the best ideas. First of all, I have always loved the ornamental fall cabbage and adding the thistle was the perfect touch.The MKC plates are lovely add that spark of elegance and are new to me. Again, perfect for the occasion and perfect for you with your love of MKC. I also think you nailed the centerpiece adding vintage pheasants surrounded by cotton bolls, various sizes of pinecones, and feathers. You get an A+ on texture and variety. I would love to see your table in person.Just stunning!
    I enjoy the hops with you and am always impressed with your expression of words. You could write for a magazine.
    Wishing you a lovely November.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rita, This is beautiful! I really love those MC plates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita, it goes without saying that this table appeals to me. I love your choice of plates!!! I wouldn't let myself go down that rabbit hole, but seeing your table brings twinges of regret. I did however buy a pair of the Peasant Run dinner plates during the Barn Sale. I set a table with them last night.
    Your attention to detail both visually and in text always delights. Your table is exquisite, the long centerpiece a show stopper! In my mind, I'm working on a feather themed table, and your post has inspired me with more ideas. Love the textures of your table, the warmth, and the feeling of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita, Your table is beautiful. Love the centerpiece. It has so many natural elements and paired with the brass pheasants, it's gorgeous. I love the skinny lengthy pinecones. We have the fat shorter ones from our trees. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for those whenever we start traveling again and forage some for the future. Your MKC plates are lovely. Enjoy your day! Clara ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clara, thank you so much for your kind comments. Happy Thanksgiving season to you!

      Delete
  10. Good morning, Rita. I agree with Bonnie, "you could write for a magazine." I believe I have mentioned your great writing in the past.

    Your table is lovely, everything about it makes me happy. And, we need to be happy this season, as our holidays will be different. Thank you for your wonderful inspiration. Wishing you a great day and month of November.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rita, your stunning table is so unique and wonderful, I don't know where to start! Well, there's those fabulous dishes --- wow! I chuckled a bit though, thinking of how much you downsized with the move, but who could resist?! Then there's the beautiful centerpiece; it's so one-of-a-kind and my favorite part of the table. Have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving! Hope you get to see your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear friend, I am envious of your lovely table and I looked for the familiar touch of purple that you tuck into your beautiful table scapes in one form or another. Imagine my joy at seeing the ornamental cabbage and thistle centerpiece....Beautiful just beautiful. Always a pleasure to join you on these hops. Hugs and Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously stunning tablescape Rita. You really hit the mark for a masculine/feminine combo. I have a faux version of that thistlewood, but have never been able to locate the really thing. It adds the right amount contrast with the other items and the purple in the plates.


    B

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rita this is stunning. OMG I think this is my favorite of all your tablescapes. Those plates are so beautiful. Love it all. Happy November. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those dishes and how your centerpiece turned out! It's gorgeous and so unique! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous Rita. I think it's great we both used Pheasant Run. The thistle plates are lovely, I wished I had purchased them. The centerpiece is lovely floral arrangement with pinecones, feathers and those cotton bolls. A lovely table to enjoy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a gorgeous table! I love your dishes and that sparkly centerpiece! The mixture of the pine cones and lights are just perfect! While we all might be having smaller crowds this year, it's still just as important to set an inviting table. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rita... as always, your tablescapes never disappoint. LOVE the MC dishes... Love them even more knowing you got them at the Barn Sale. And the centerpiece is stunning! Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful dishes! I've never seen that pattern before and love it! I especially love your centerpiece with the pinecones and feathers!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m so in love with your dinner and salad plates, Rita! Goodness but they made for a pretty table! Your centerpiece I absolutely stunning and so perfect for thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This table is a beauty. Love your use of the pheasants and the feathers.

    We usually host Thanksgiving but this year will be us and our pups.

    Like you we will have a Love table and enjoy a feast.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rita, first the centerpiece you created is absolutely stunning! It adds such a wow factor to the table. You have inspired me to create a similar centerpiece for my table. I have a lot of pheasant feathers from my hubby's hunting trips. I am swooning over the MC china. I have never seen that pattern. It is beautiful and compliments your centerpiece perfectly. It is always such an honor to tablescape with you. Take care, and may November bring you many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rita, I believe the feeling is mutual when it comes to looking forward to seeing your postings. You find the most unique and beautiful pieces and use them in the most exquisite ways in your tablescapes. It is true evidence of a great designer. It is amazing how you used these one of the kind pieces like your McK-Childs plates and incorporate rich, textured pieces like your placemats and gorgeous centerpiece of Thistle and feathers and pinecones. So enjoyable to see that it appeals to both men and women (masculine and feminine elements). Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rita, your centerpiece is absolutely stunning. I love how you incorporated pine cones and feathers. What a gorgeous display. Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration with us. Have a blessed holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rita, I am thinking you have a seriously fabulous china collection! All elements of your elegant Thanksgiving table are exquisite. Love the colour combinations and textures. The centrepiece is a beauty. Many blessings to you during this different Thanksgiving season.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rita, Your table is lovely, but wow, your centerpiece steals the show. The cabbage at the center, mimicking the cabbages on your salad plates Then the explosion of pine cones and feathers, crown the centerpiece! Those dishes are lovely, what a treasure they are. Thank you so much for joining us once again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rita, this is one of your outstanding table settings! The centerpiece is the perfect shape for your table and is stunning. I love the Pheasant Run pattern and I think it is an outstanding choice for your Thanksgiving table. We are not sure about our plans yet and I hope to keep the menu simple as well. Happy November dear friend........

    ReplyDelete
  28. That centerpiece knocks my socks off, Rita -- both what you found and how it evolved. Lovely table. Perfect for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So gorgeous, Rita! your tablescapes are always amazing and dramatic, and reflect your fun and creative spirit and personality. Love the cabbage and thistle centerpiece, only you could create such a stunning combination. I know you must have tons of fun putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rita, your tablescapes are always well thought out, and this is outstanding. So glad you were thinking ahead and got the dishes at the Barn Sale. Wow the centerpiece is stunning! Hope you are having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rita! What a beautiful tablescape! The centerpiece is a show stopper!! Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for inspiring us!! Have a lovely week! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rita, your centerpiece is stunning! It is so lush and dramatic...a real show stopper! And you know I'm crazy about those vintage brass pheasants. What a great estate sale find! The pheasant placemats are fabulous and go so well with your theme. It's always fun to hop with you. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Every element of your table is delightful. I expect that yours will not be the only low key Thanksgiving this year.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Rita, thanks for sharing your pretty Thanksgiving table at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rita, your table is beautiful with its pheasants and feathers and the sweet thistles... Happy to share your lovely post at Share Your Style #281 this evening. <3

    Enjoy your lovely tablescape,
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your thistle, cabbage and pheasant feather centerpiece couldn't be a better match for your beautiful dishes.

    ReplyDelete