Monday, July 29, 2024

July Garden Notes and Anecdotes

Here is a picture of our geographic region shown on our local weather Friday, July 26. 2024. My location is in the middle color of the legend for the current drought. I am in growing Zone 7a.
It's been a very dry summer, and the garden - particularly my grass - is suffering. I am suffering (in terms of first world problems).

Welcome to Panoply, where landscape gardening is one of my favorite hobbies. Today I want to share just a few garden notes and anecdotes of my experience this July and late June, since my last garden update, here.

On the 4th of July I posted this photo below and captioned it: "Tell me your garden needed rain without telling me your garden needed rain. June was rough!" This was one hydrangea, photos taken early July (top) and the month prior (Bottom), with no rain and very hot temperatures (high 90s, real feel triple digits). 
We haven't had much rain since June 18th. Since then, only a few times did it rain. It's been barely enough to even wet the rain gauge.
Look at my pitiful grass! We wait three weeks in between cuttings, and that's just to even up the edges to the straw-like, dormant grass. September can't come soon enough!
However, when we received nearly an inch and a half of much needed rain, it was fast (windy) and hard falling. Those can do a number on the plants. Can you say splat? Here's what that inch and a half of rain in June did (top frame of next two photos). 
That's when I have to go outside and try to either stake, tie and/or thin out plants after the beating from a quick rain with wind. Since that rain in June, we've only received an inch and a half total for July. 😒
I suppose it's due to the drought, but I only saw my first butterfly on July 8th, can you believe that?
I haven't seen one hummingbird, other than on a neighbor's feeder, and that was just this past week (July 24th). In spite of my additions to the landscape to hopefully attract hummingbirds (cardinal flower, penstemon, penta annuals, and my already established crocosmia), the hummingbirds seem elusive.
Clockwise: Pentas, Cardinal flower, Penstemon, Crocosmia
But those weeds sure don't discriminate with type of soil or weather. Do you ever go outside and wonder, "how in the world did I miss that one?", referring to finding a weed right smack in the middle of a good plant, waaay taller than the plant. It's like playing Where's Waldo? when it comes to spotting all the weeds in the garden (and the snips I constantly lose while cutting them!). Somehow I seem to always have at least one yard waste bag full of weeds each week.
And let's not forget the pests in the garden. In spring it was slugs, in June it was Japanese beetles. A deer has been spotted in the neighborhood, but deer have to cross either a busy highway or the river to get into our neighborhood. 
What we have the most of are rabbits and squirrels. Back in May I spotted a squirrel on top of my book reader statue. 
Come back he did. A squirrel came in late June, sat on that statue as if it were a bar stool, and chomped off every single daylily flower blossom in that bed. He even used the concrete bench across from the bed to massacre the blooms, leaving bits of anthers and petals on the bench and on the mulch below.

Rabbits (those pictured below are not in my yard, but representative just the same) delighted in one of two of my balloon flowers. One month later, it's just now starting to show blooms again.
I have watered every.single.day, just trying to keep all the perennial shrubs and annual plants I've invested in this year alive. My typical routine is to walk around 7am, then water immediately after. A few days I had Jacqueline early mornings, so I didn't get the chance to water until later in the day. With the sun's heat, I didn't even think that the water would be scalding hot! I literally burned a few blooms on my quick fire hydrangea (isn't it ironic?!), and my containers. 
I was too embarrassed to even photograph my patio container that was scalded. Thankfully, they've mostly recovered with some bloom boost and tlc.

In spite of the weather conditions, I've actually been pretty successful with everything I've planted this year. The vinca annuals always fill out among my geraniums in front. This year I've had a lot of volunteers from last year's annuals - vinca, pansies, and celosia. I planted zinnia seeds from the shorter (yellow) variety I had last year.
On July 24, my volunteer crepe myrtle finally started blooming! This started as a stick in 2022, was transplanted twice in 2023 and only grew leaves in July last year (very late for the region).  
The north bed is filling in quite nicely, with room still for growth and a few more plants to be tucked in next year. It was early July when the pink hydrangeas were in bloom in this bed. The lower frame was late July, still looking fairly good, compliments of my water bill.
The south bed is one I'm still toying with, but am keeping things pruned while I decide, and adding a few annuals (by seed). I also added a few "fireworks", thanks to Jeanie at Marmalade Gypsy. My neighbor across the street (brick house shown in photo) has since added some to her bed too!
I keep my arsenal close at hand for all the potentials of gardening. 
They say one year of seeds is seven years of weeds. I'm still fighting that upland cress crap that was in my compost last fall. At least now I have an arsenal to combat it. And I'll use RoundUp when I have to. For someone who grew up in the chemical valley armpit of Monsanto, Union Carbide, and Dupont, I'm not afraid of any of it!
When it's really hot, I typically wear flip flops to piddle in the garden. I've already blown out one pair of flip flops, but good ol' Dollar Tree was at my rescue. I picked up a pool and sunglasses for Jacqueline too. And while watering one morning last week, I noticed someone put a painted rock of a red bird on the ground beside my hose reel. Later on my walk that morning, I saw a heart rock on the head of a St Francis statue in a neighbor's yard. They both made me smile.
I know a lot of my blogging friends have had a lot of rain lately. Well, we're supposed to have rain this week. I sure hope so. My blog friend Christine of Rustic and Refined was kind enough to make and send me videos of her drip system she created for her garden. I may try to do that next year. If not, I guess we'll just keep on hosing. 
What garden trials and tribulations have you endured this year? I love to read your comments, and happily respond if I have your email. If you show up as anonymous, please let me know who you are!

Thanks for your visit today! 

Rita C. at Panoply
A special thank you to Linda from Life and Linda's Love Your Creativity #294 for featuring this post!











20 comments:

  1. My hydrangeas are looking bedraggled as well. We are in a mild drought, but overcast skies and scattered showers have helped that. Unfortunately, the lack of sun has stunted the tomatoes. Ugh, I hate summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, I can sympathize with your watering woes, struggling hydrangeas and grass. We’ve moved out of severe drought into the moderate drought stage here in NC. We’re getting some rain today with more chances this week 🤞 but we’ve watched the radar following storms only to see them part like the Red Sea and go right around us. Areas slightly south and north have gotten 3 inches of rain from storms while we’ve barely gotten wet. Your side gardens look great despite the lack of rain, along your front entrance with your annuals. Those dastardly squirrels…we’ve had our fair share of bunny battles and squirrel wars too and I despise Japanese Beetles. We saw so many hummingbirds in the NC mountains but have only spotted a couple at the lake. Hope springs eternal, so I keep refreshing and cleaning my hummingbird feeders. Your crepe myrtle blooming speaks to their resilience! Love that cute shot of Jaqueline with the hose. Wishing a wet and rainy week ahead!😊🌧️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, I can feel your pain. We had weeks with not a drop of rain. Now it has rained for thirteen or fourteen days straight. Potted plants are struggling with too much rain. We had our highest water bill and power bill with the extreme heat and like you the wind. Japanese beetles have been our enemy this summer after the cicada invasion that left our trees with lots of dead leaves. Our sunflowers have thrived, everything else seems to be struggling. Your front and side gardens have fared really well because of daily watering. Every year in our gardening journey has been different. Jacqueline is having fun, she is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little J is getting so big and cuter all the time. We have had a lot of rain and severe weather the month of July. Nice and green and the plants love the rain but the beating they take with the severe weather is harsh. I wish I could send you some of the rain we are having here in Illinois. Ha Ha you make your garden too inviting for the squirrel. He loves his new diner to visit. Your little book cherub with his sunglasses is always been a favorite to see of yours. He is adorable. Hope you get some rain. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita, the weather has been so harsh in many states. It’s been too hot to go out and swim.
    I hate this time of year when my plants look awful. So frustrating when the squirrels visit and wipe out all of the flowers. Jacqueline is darling. So special to spend time with her. Wishing you lots of good rain. You have spent plenty of time and money on your garden. Fall cannot come soon enough. Love the painted rock and your sweet cherub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, like you we suffered from heat, ours early in the season too. Hot and dry and we have also invested in new plants requiring lots of watering. We have a sprinkler system but with the heat and new plants we have to water again. I won't mention the water statement! Now we are into summer thunderstorms and torrential rains so finally a break from watering. I understand how you feel, overwhelmed with the watering and yes, the water can get really hot! I do hope you get some relief soon. Love the sweet pic of little Jacqueline. Brings back sweet memories. Looking forward to those crisp fall temps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been fortunate up until now; rain every week and moderate temps, but now we're heading into a new pattern in the upper 90's and few chances for rain (here in SW Missouri) I can't handle the heat physically so I water early evening. No chance for gardens and lot's of flowers here because of all the wildlife. Bunnies are new this year and I find them hiding among the flower containers virtually hidden until my hose hits them. The squirrels don't do much damage other than making a mess on my patio furniture. J is so adorable and I'm sure a great helper! I'm usually "over" summer by August. Bring on Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita, I am so sorry to hear about the terrible drought and your infestation of Japanese beetles.
    I has rained here a good bit so we aren't hurting for water thankfully.
    I detest squirrels. They have torn my patio slipcovers beyond repair and I can't feel anything kind toward them. I placed Irish Spring soap in three places on my porch and it is supposed to deter them. So far, there are no new tears. I am just ignoring them because they are too expensive to replace and the color is hard to find. It matches my rug and tile on the porch floor.
    WE also have had a time with moles killing our grass.
    That is a darling picture of Jacqueline. I remember those days!
    Sometimes it seems the harder you try the worse it gets. Hang in there. We invested 24 years ago in a sprinkler system and it has been well worth the expense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita, I think your garden looks amazing, especially considering all the challenges you have had to deal with. Sweet little J is growing so quickly and is darling. We are very hot and dry here as well - the last time it rained was the day we moved and it poured (of course) but nothing since. I am so glad that all I have to contend with is dirt this year as our city had a major water main break and outdoor watering was prohibited for many many weeks. We are also dealing with major forest fires again. Oy! For the first time ever I'm saying I can't wait for fall either! Happy gardening until then!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, Rita, you really have had a drought this year!! You still gave Ms aged to have a gorgeous front walkway. My son, Tim, has such luck with vincas and his reseed also, do that he just has to fill in around his pool area. You know my issues with rabbits and squirrels and even birds peck in my plants. My zinnia seeds that I planted were totally eaten, as were my tomato plants and one jalapeño plant. I have Mexican petunias, but when their growth starts in the Spring, some critter eats them right down. It’s truly a battle for me to know what will make it or not.
    I LOVE your firework fairy lights! Now I wish I would’ve gotten those instead of the ones I bought.
    I like your arsenal of garden products! Yes, those weeds are continually propagating , aren’t they??!! Now I’m battling these little nut like balls on my bald cypress trees. The squirrels munch them and litter all over my patio from atop my pergola!
    Oh well, we do love yard work and must put up with all these shenanigans I guess.
    Hope you get some rain soon. Happy gardening! 🧑‍🌾

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rita, I am having the opposite with rain every day...but then it is our monsoon season. I do have to water the larger pots but the sprinkler system takes care of the rest. With the heat those pots dry out quickly. We have not had deer close by but we have had a black bear and I don't want to meet up with him so I find I go out later than first light which is when I like to water after having my quiet time and coffee or hot tea in the courtyard. Your plants in front look great...my vinca look like sad petunias. Of course the Mexican Petunias seem to thrive and multiply like crazy no matter how much I pull them out. Isn't it funny how one man's trash is another man's treasure? LOL I hope it rains soon and ends your drought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw...look at that sweet angel! Baby J is getting so big! SO cute. Rita, I need to send you some of our rain! It is ridiculous! Everything, including the hardscape, is turning green!!! I bet the deer are looking for water as well as the other little creatures. I love how someone left you a rock. That's so cool! I spite of the drought, your garden is beautiful. I will say an extra prayer for rain for you and WV!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great picture of little J enjoying the water hose. You will cherish that memory always. Your garden looks wonderful despite the drought. Every year it seems nature throws us another curve. Gardening is not for the faint of heart. We have had the opposite weather here with an overabundance of rain. I'm not complaining though as I haven't had to water for several weeks. However, my garden is beginning to look like a jungle and some of my herbs are water-logged. The hydrangea are loving this weather but
    the tomatoes and green peppers not so much. Gardening is filled with challenges but that's what makes it so interesting. Every year is different. Wishing you some rain very soon. I think we will all be relieved when Fall arrives. thanks for sharing your garden with us.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry about the drought -- that has to be a gardener's worse nightmare. I so admire your hard work and despite the drought (and the disappointment that comes with it) I think the garden looks quite amazing. You're going to have to stop calling her Baby J pretty soon -- she's growing so fast and simply adorable. Seventh heaven, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  15. In spite of the drought, your garden is beautiful Rita. You have worked so hard in your garden and it shows. Baby J is growing so fast, and that photo of her with the garden hose in her mouth is so cute. Wishing you some rain very soon. We are hoping for rain also, but at least our grass is still green despite it being dry this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rita, The last shot is precious! How cool to find a cardinal painted rock in your garden! I love it! Your revamped landscaping project is coming along nicely. I hope you're getting some rain this week. We got it last week. Now, we're back in the extreme heat and humidity. I've been putting away fresh food in the freezer. I found some delicious fresh peaches and couldn't resist them along with a few veggies. That squirrel caption made me laugh! That was perfect! Squirrels, bunnies, deer and Japanese beetles do so much damage and can raise your blood pressure! Stay cool and safe in this heat. Clara❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. We’ve had times like your experiencing before but this summer has been ‘lush’ here in mid-Michigan. Rain almost everyday or every other. I have to dump water out of my pots. And some have gotten water logged. I’m hauling water currently while my husband is replacing our 60 yr old pipes. The perennials are doing fine - but I ALWAYS have to have a few (or more 🤭) pots of annuals. Hope your rains come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Busy, busy gal! Our back yard has been dug up for weeks as the town cleared away brush behind our street of homes - they hydro seeded yesterday and hopefully it all grows in as we also need rain! Enjoy the rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rita, your gardens are doing very well in spite of the weather and the critters! I admire your energy for tackling such large areas in a short timeframe. This year I've resorted to cloches and yards and yards of black netting to keep the hungry critters away -- of course, after they had sampled the buffet in early July. The black is almost invisible unless you're up close. Some of the flowers have grown back and are beginning to put out blooms again, except for the geraniums which were eaten down to the roots.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It has been a strange year here as well with first drought and then four inches of rain in a matter of days. Actually, my hydrangeas are looking about the same right now as well. They had a wonderful season but now they have quickly gone into fall mode with their faded blooms. I am enjoying the stroll through your north and south beds and your garden is looking lovely despite the lack of rain. Hopefully you’ll get some rain soon!

    ReplyDelete