Friday, May 16, 2014

A Quick and Not-So-Dirty Sale

A few weeks ago, on a Saturday morning, I had just finished my coffee, and I received a text from my good friend that went something like this, "Hey, there's a moving sale at my next door neighbor's, you should come."  I responded, "I need to get dressed, I'll be right there!". Within fifteen minutes, I was dressed and there (she only lives about two miles from me).

My friend was already inside the home when I arrived, even though the sale had not officially begun. The sale was not advertised except for a couple signs posted on the four-lane a few blocks away.
The host was the neighbor's car salesman (!), and we were allowed in as 'friends' of the neighbor (who was out of state).  The car salesman didn't know what he had gotten himself into, it was obvious, as nothing was priced, and he was no where near ready for the crowds to come.

My friend and I got in and out with some great deals.  Do you ever go to a sale not really wanting to load a bunch of stuff, even though the prices are good?  It was sort of one of those days for me, and my friend only shops these sales for her personal consumption (she just needs to go to a few more, and she'll soon be a dealer too, lol).

Here's my loot I hauled from the moving sale.  Trust me when I say everything in this post was bought for one really good price.  I should have bought more.
I brought home the four panel, very clean room divider / screen; vintage Houze or Akro Agate slag glass and cast iron pole lamp (new socket and lampshade, Victorian style); two vintage wicker shelves, one vintage wood & woven stool; one General Electric (working) mantle clock - petite; two vintage, framed prints; and a Pier 1 Parsons occasional chair, with slipcover (nice and clean).
The lamp is made of glass sections, very Art Deco (the Victorian shade isn't period appropriate, but I wasn't about to leave without it).  I love the lamp because I collect jadeite, and it would easily go in my office, guest bedroom or sitting room.  I have another lamp similar to it, so I will likely sell the one I choose not to keep. They sell on eBay for anywhere between $100 - $500.  The stool has a few loose weaves on the edges, but can always be used as a riser, as in this case for the wicker shelf display.
The GE clock is sweet in its petite size - I may have to keep it (Made in USA).
The prints are black & white, one of a country road with truck and two men, the other of a bench under a window, with a coat hanger above the bench.  A little whitewash to the frames (or even black) would set these prints off much better, I think.
I like the Pier 1 chair, too, even though it's not really heavy like another Parsons chair I have in my home. The base is a clean, white duck cloth, so the chair will be handy for family get-togethers. The chair retails, new, for $99 (without the slipcover). The divider can always be used in our booth displays at the antique mall - we have several we use regularly.

I almost forgot!   Here are a couple last minute items I grabbed as I was ending my negotiations with the car salesman / host.  This little concrete baby may start in my garden or sunroom, and eventually end up for resale.
This little plant pictured below was a gratis from the host. :)
Oh, and did I mention my friend GAVE me this chest of drawers pictured below?!  She wanted it gone, and called me just like she did on this sale (a "come now!" sort of call), and so I did.
As you can see, it's currently being stored beside my vintage Samsonite luggage set I wrote about here.  I'm planning to store some of my vintage linens in the cherry chest of drawers, and am thinking about painting it and changing the hardware.  That'll depend on whether I bring it up into the house decor.

So, not a bad pick for an impromptu Saturday morning, right?  I was home by 8:15 am.

Sharing:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life's Inspire Me
We Call It Junkin'
Savvy Southern's WOW
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Melissa's Thrifty Things Friday
Southern HospitalityThrifty Treasures

No comments:

Post a Comment