Tuesday, May 20, 2014

RH: Dirty Dozen on My Doorstep

I don't usually do totally random posts, but today I was surprised when the UPS man rang my doorbell. I wasn't expecting any packages {I know, shocker}.  Here's what was at my doorstep (below):
A package of nothing but 17 pounds of 2014 Restoration Hardware catalogs arrived. I thought it was phone books at first, but those are usually delivered by some individual.  I don't think I've ordered anything from RH for at least 3 years.
A dozen catalogs - for just about everything you could or could not want.  The catalog bundle includes:  1) Interiors 2) Small Spaces 3) Outdoor 4) Baby & Child 5) Upholstery 6) Leather 7) Furniture 8) Rugs 9) Linens 10) Lighting 11) Bath 12) Objects of Curiosity.  UPDATE 5-21-14: There were 13 catalogs - now labeled the Baker's Dozen, not the Dirty Dozen!  I missed 13) Tableware.  It's very thin, but mighty!
Don't worry, this package is a carbon neutral shipment - it says so.  What the heck does that mean, I wondered?  So, I Googled it.

I soon realized saying a package is a carbon neutral shipment pretty much explains why RH products are so expensive.  From the link, it reads:  "the shipment you received was sent by someone who requested that UPS offset the climate impact of the shipment. This means the sender cares about climate change and wants others to be aware of this commitment."  
It goes on to say: "UPS's carbon neutral option supports projects that offset the emissions of the shipment's transport. UPS has supported projects that include reforestation, landfill gas destruction, wastewater treatment, and methane destruction."

Hmm....I wonder if UPS might be helping solve  West Virginia's water crisis that I wrote about last January?
Well, tonight is Trash Night Eve, and I usually sort through catalogs received during the past week and recycle any prior versions, replacing with the new ones. I keep a huge woven basket of current catalogs in my sunroom and actually file them, not alphabetically, but by years of personal consumption and knowing the order that makes sense to no one but me.  Number 4 I'll definitely toss tonight, but I'll be all over numbers 12 and 9, probably this evening.

Did you get any surprise packages today?

No comments:

Post a Comment